Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Series of UC changes just announced and completion of rollout extended to March 2023

< 1 2

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

From Neil Couling on Twitter:

... regulations ‘package’ will be going to SSAC on 20 June 2018

https://twitter.com/NeilCouling/status/1006474335572414465

Ps - Neil has also been asked: “Could you say a little about why Reg 4(1)(a) doesn’t cover exactly this (the severe disability premium) scenario? It seems made for it, on the face of it.”

https://twitter.com/lampfrey/status/1006475558253973504

JojoMitchell
forum member

Disability Law Service, London

Send message

Total Posts: 290

OK - just had a call from a single parent with 2 disabled children who had to claim UC when she moved from London to Leicester.  She has lost the SDP, Carer’s premium (she’s in the support group) and is worse off by £320 per month.  As she had no choice but to claim UC so wasn’t a “managed migration” will this new TP apply to her??

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

JojoMitchell - 13 June 2018 10:43 AM

OK - just had a call from a single parent with 2 disabled children who had to claim UC when she moved from London to Leicester.  She has lost the SDP, Carer’s premium (she’s in the support group) and is worse off by £320 per month.  As she had no choice but to claim UC so wasn’t a “managed migration” will this new TP apply to her??

To revert to a theme - who knows?

The regulations haven’t been published yet and all we have is a vague statement of principle from the minister. We can’t confidently advise anyone of anything on this basis.

roswhite
forum member

rightsnet

Send message

Total Posts: 3

Also, Esther McVey said that the changes will be made by the Universal Credit Managed Migration and Transitional Protection Regulations which they intend to bring forward ‘in the Autumn’ so it seem that it will be a good while until clients who’ve laready lost the sdp can claim any compensation.

Vaux
forum member

Hertfordshire Money Advice Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 13

Who knows ....but…...the reference in the statement was ONLY to lost SDP. The other losses in this case (carer premium because it overlaps with LCWRA and possibly disabled child amount) are not related to the sdp issue. So there may only be partial compensation in this case - but frankly, who knows? We are saying nothing beyond the Ministers words so far.

Welfare Rights Adviser
forum member

Social inclusion unit - Swansea Council

Send message

Total Posts: 163

Could that be a situation to refer to leigh day?

Vaux
forum member

Hertfordshire Money Advice Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 13

Welfare Rights Adviser - 13 June 2018 03:08 PM

Could that be a situation to refer to leigh day?

No harm in it but the other losses are down to the UC rates themselves (for disabled child) and UC legislation (preventing carers element and LCWRA) rather than the issue of transitional protection. A challenge on those grounds would undermine the whole concept of natural migration - which wouldn’t be a bad thing of course, but its less focused (and less emotive) than the sdp issue.

kthrn
forum member

Salford CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Hi,
My clt was released from Rehab in May following approx. 18 month stay in hospital/ rehab under mental health act 1983. HB appears to have ended in March- have not had chance to contact them to get details as yet but from the info I have it looks unlikely we can seek previous claim reinstated on basis of overnight leave.
His HA helped him make an online claim for UC around a month ago, however he has never had an ID verification interview for this- says awaiting call back with appt- and has not accessed his journal himself at any time. The claim is not live. I met him on Friday and contacted the ESA to get his SDP back in payment (had been suspended whilst in hospital).
So not the obvious question? Do I claim HB or continue with claim for UC? My instinct is to go down the HB road as he is entitled to SDP, but I suspect there may be problems/ delays in doing this as he is in a UC full service post code area.
Has anyone else tried this yet?
If it doesn’t work, and I haven’t followed up UC claim he may end up with no housing costs for quite some time. His landlord have already issued a Notice seeking possession though no court proceedings.
I don’t want to boil him in the lobster pot if I can help it.

Thanks all

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

I don’t think the promised policy change to block UC claims by people with the SDP has taken effect yet - last we heard everyone was saying why not just use UC(TP) Reg 4 but DWP wasn’t convinced it applies.  That means that as it stands the claimant cannot make a new claim for HB - and it would have to be a new claim if they have been absent from home for 18 months with no current award.  It therefore looks as if the only way to get any help with the rent is to persevere with the UC claim.  Given the promised compensation for people who have lost the SDP after claiming UC for non-health related reasons, I think that would be the better option, rather than withdrawing the UC claim and getting no help with rent at all for the time being while waiting for HB claims to be opened up again some time later in the summer.