to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP/CA when home for weekends.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

I have a client that has been in hospital for quite a while. His PIP award has been stopped as well as his partners CA. He is now starting to go home for weekends (Fri-Mon) in readiness for discharge in July. How easy is it to get PIP and CA put back into payment for these times?

Thanks

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

PIP payment would be caught by the 28 days linking period for hospital stays and I think that would also preclude payment of CA

paulmoorhouse
forum member

Central and South Sussex CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

Pip is payable for days at home, including day of discharge and re-admission (so for four days in seven on this scenario). CA would be payable provided his partner can clock up the 35 hours care—which I guess should not be difficult in this case.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

Thanks Paul. He needs full time care following a brain injury so 35 hours isn’t a problem. PIP seems to be ok but she’s struggling getting CA paid.

MickD
forum member

Welfare Rights Derbyshire County County

Send message

Total Posts: 101

The Carer’s Allowance week runs from Sunday to Saturday, so the weekend spans two weeks for the 35 hour rule.  It may depend upon what time the person arrives on Friday and departs on Monday.  There is however a good paragraph in the Disability Rights Handbook: ‘The time you spend caring includes preparing for the visit of the person you care for on the day they arrive, clearing up after they leave and collecting them from or taking them back to the place where they usually live (CG/6/1990).

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

MickD - 30 May 2018 08:34 AM

The Carer’s Allowance week runs from Sunday to Saturday, so the weekend spans two weeks for the 35 hour rule.  It may depend upon what time the person arrives on Friday and departs on Monday.  There is however a good paragraph in the Disability Rights Handbook: ‘The time you spend caring includes preparing for the visit of the person you care for on the day they arrive, clearing up after they leave and collecting them from or taking them back to the place where they usually live (CG/6/1990).

Thanks Mick, that’s very helpful.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

I’ve not seen this set up for many years but ast time I did see it Carers Allowance used to collect the hours caring on a sheet and pay in arrears. They called them Boarder Payments.

The DMG doesn;t really help but it starts at 60045 for reference.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

Thanks Dan I’ll take a look.