to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Children and childcare  →  Thread

CTC when QYP is enrolled in F/T time non advanced education

Pete at CAB
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser’ for Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

Total Posts: 390

Cl’s child is 16 years old, left school in early 2018 and registered with Careers Service which triggered 20 week run on of CTC and CTC. CTC is still in payment until mid June.
The child has now gained a place on a F/T non-advanced course at college to start in September 2018.

I have spoken to HMRC who said that the cl. needs to notify when the Qualifying Young Person (QYP) starts at college and they will reinstate both CTC and CB from the date the QYP started the course.

On the other hand Para 3 (ab) of Reg 5 CTC regs appears to say that to be a QYP for CTC the QYP only needs to be enrolled on a course which seems to indicate the CTC could continue after June. To be fair the QYP did not leave school with the intention of going to the course, it seems that the course was something that only came up as result of help and advice from the Careers Service but this does not detract from the fact that the QYP is now enrolled on a relevant course.

It seems to me that the CTC should be reinstated as soon as the Cl can provide proof that the QYP is enrolled but I would be very grateful for any opinions as to whether I have got this right.

thanks

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2000

Can you formally enrol before the course starts?

Pete at CAB
forum member

Send message

Thanks Gareth, I think that you might be able to, if someone has a letter saying that they have been accepted on a course and you should turn up on a specific date to start the course then haven’t they been enrolled? I was thinking of 6th form colleges and schools, when child leaves school they have left school but they have confirmation of a place at 6th form so CTC continues?

[ Edited: 24 May 2018 at 10:07 am by Pete at CAB ]
Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2000

I thought that, while you could be accepted in advance, the enrollment took place when you signed in on day 1.

Pete at CAB
forum member

Send message

Thanks for the advice, I have checked this and you’re right!
We are going ahead with the case as there is considerable evidence that the QYP had severe MH problems which led to them leaving F/T ed early so we are hoping that CTC will either continue after the run on or be paid retrospectively once the QYP has actually enrolled in September

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

CTC Reg 5(3)(ab) only applies to ‘approved training’ otherwise (3)(a) applies.
This needs to be read with (4),(5) or (5A) and (7). Note particularly the discretionary provisions in (7).
‘Enrolled’ is not defined in the CTC regs so should be given its everyday meaning. I would argue that having applied for & been offered a place on a course that has been accepted a person is enrolled (which is not the same as actual attendance).

Do FE colleges and universities still have enrollement days where everyone queues up to ‘sign up’? Or is it done in advance electronically these days?

If (7) applies then entitlement to CTC could be continueous from the end of the 20 wk run on until Sept and then onward. Parent / carer will need to notify HMRC (which could be done now or as part of the annual ‘review’ process)that (7) should be considered and be prepared to submit supporting evidence. If not the YP will be NEAT between the end of the run on and the start of the course in Sept (when a claim for CTC will be required). Don’t forget that similar provisions to (7) apply to CHB.

Pete at CAB
forum member

Send message

Thanks for the replies, we are gathering the evidence to write to HMRC in the hope that CTC can be reinstated. I think a new claim in September might possibly trigger a ‘natural migration’ to UC which the client might want avoid