to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

New security process?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

The Vivaldi “helpline” just asked me for the client’s NINo and last 4 digits of their account number!

New hurdles, argggghhh!

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Dan Manville - 23 May 2018 10:10 AM

The Vivaldi “helpline” just asked me for the client’s NINo and last 4 digits of their account number!

New hurdles, argggghhh!

How have you managed to avoid this for so long Dan?

“That’s a security question for the claimant, you need to ask me the implicit consent security questions for reps” (optional - “look at the implicit consent wheel”).
“These are the questions we have to ask”
“Can I suggest you have identified a training issue. Please consult DWPs published guidance on working with reps. I can give your the link to Gov.UK”
[option 1] call is ended by helpline.
[option 2] ask to speak to supervisor (sometimes refused, sometimes progress made).
Sometimes even get an answer to the enquiry!!

And that’s after 30+ mins of listening to Vivaldi before the above sketch begins. Sigh!

SamW
forum member

Lambeth Every Pound Counts

Send message

Total Posts: 430

I think what Dan may be getting at is that the voice recognition software that normally asks you what you are calling about asked him for NINO and account numbers which is new. I was just asked by the software for the former but not the latter.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

SamW - 23 May 2018 04:27 PM

I think what Dan may be getting at is that the voice recognition software that normally asks you what you are calling about asked him for NINO and account numbers which is new. I was just asked by the software for the former but not the latter.

Yep

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

So the threat from artificial intelligence is real enough for benefit claimants and their representatives then!

I just need to set one up on my work phone now 😊

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

So the threat from artificial intelligence is real enough for benefit claimants and their representatives then!

I just need to set one up on my work phone now :)

“PPI you say. Can I ask you some questions about that…”

Pete at CAB
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser’ for Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

Total Posts: 380

Dan Manville - 24 May 2018 09:35 AM

Yep

In the past I’ve had some (unintended) success by saying something that the software can’t recognise. It tried a couple of alternatives then gave up and put me through to an actual person.

I don’t know if this is still the case but I can’t help but wonder how it would respond if you just quoted Wordsworth to it -  “you want to talk about daffodils, is that right?”

I

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Pete at CAB - 25 May 2018 10:12 AM
Dan Manville - 24 May 2018 09:35 AM

Yep

In the past I’ve had some (unintended) success by saying something that the software can’t recognise. It tried a couple of alternatives then gave up and put me through to an actual person.

I don’t know if this is still the case but I can’t help but wonder how it would respond if you just quoted Wordsworth to it -  “you want to talk about daffodils, is that right?”

I

Hmm.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/24/alexa_recording_couple/

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

Phone today:

Computer: What’s your national insurance number?

Me: *client’s NI number*

Computer: What’s your phone number?

Me: *client’s phone number*

Computer: What’s your bank’s sort code?

Me: I don’t know.

Computer: I NEED TO KNOW YOUR BANK’S SORT CODE!

Me: I don’t know

*Vivaldi*

Operator: What’s your client’s NI number?