Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Couples where one member has NRPF - which income threshold?

Kelly @ NHHG
forum member

Notting Hill Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 10

I’m without my CPAG today and struggling to find guidance on this.  Would be most appreciative of any input from other experts!

Mr is disabled and unable to work - he is getting IR ESA at single person rate and full HB, plus CTC for 2 children. 
Mrs has a spousal visa and has no recourse to public funds.  She has been offered work.
They want to check entitlement/ effect on Mrs’ immigration status.

I understand that the couple cannot claim WTC based on Mrs’ work hours because she has NRPF, and that her earnings will nonetheless reduce CTC entitlement.

However, I’m unclear which income threshold to apply when tapering entitlement. £6420 for claimants eligible for WTC or £16105 for CTC only claimants?

stevemac
forum member

Horsham CAB, West Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 117

Hi kelly - it is my understanding that specifically for TC purposes in your couple case as long as one of them is not subject to NRTPF restriction then their partner is also treated as not having the NRTPF restirction and they can make a joint claim to both WTC and CTC subject to normal rulkes so the taper would be set at £6420 (WTC)

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

CPAG MIgrants Handbook confirms Steve’s advcie but also notes that WTC claim does not include the couple element in these kind of cases.

stevemac
forum member

Horsham CAB, West Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 117

Hi Paul - couple element included in WTC claim if the couple are responsible for a child? (CPAG 18/19 page 1539)

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

stevemac - 09 May 2018 09:18 AM

Hi Paul - couple element included in WTC claim if the couple are responsible for a child? (CPAG 18/19 page 1539)

Sorry, yes, you’‘re completely correct there. My mistake, well spotted.

Kelly @ NHHG
forum member

Notting Hill Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Perfect, thanks for this.  Great help!