Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Need painkillers to function. Delays ability to mobilise. Can’t remember relevant case law! Please help!

NHHG WBAs
forum member

Welfare Benefits Advisers Notting Hill Genesis

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am working with a claimant who is totally unable to function until her pain killers kick in in the morning, Before they take affect she cannot get out of bed.

I am sure I have read case law that ruled that a similar case meant the appellant cannot complete certain ESA descriptors repeatedly due to the delay that occurs before her painkillers take affect and she is able to function.

I have imagined the above???

Hope something can help and knows what case I am talking about which I hopefully have not made up!!

Best wishes,

Tom

MickD
forum member

Welfare Rights Derbyshire County County

Send message

Total Posts: 101

This is for PIP not ESA but the principle should be the same I would have thought:

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/caselaw/item/remote-risk-of-adverse-event-does-not-mean-activity-cannot-be-carried-out-s

Quote:

Highlighting that at paragraph 4.15 of the government’s response above it states, ‘if a descriptor applies at any point during a 24 hr period, it should be considered as applying on that day’, Judge Hemingway observed -

‘The claimant’s evidence is, of course, that she is unable to do very much at all due to the adverse impact upon her of a seizure and the tiredness she feels as a result of it until late morning or midday.  It seems to me it makes no sense to say a person is able to perform an activity as often as reasonably required if they cannot do so for a part of the day in which they would otherwise reasonably wish or need to do so.’ (paragraph 34).

NHHG WBAs
forum member

Welfare Benefits Advisers Notting Hill Genesis

Send message

Total Posts: 2

This is great-thank you so much!