to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Timescale to decision notice following Work Capability Assessment

WRT Case Worker
forum member

Citizens Advice Rotherham

Send message

Total Posts: 66

I am working with a client who attended a WCA on 05 March 2018. Clt called in today to inform us that he had not received a decision. I am not aware of a timescale for sending out a decision notice and wondered if anyone knows something different.

Clt has visited JCP and asked the question but was told ‘Can’t help you, we can’t find a decision on the system, go and see Citizens Advice’

Advised Clt to contact ESA and ask for an update and request ESA85. Clt was told that DWP would send a letter when a decision is made. They also said that they would send the ESA85 when they get it.

This all seems a little odd to me as the process seems broken and has left the client in limbo, all of which suggest a written request for the decision (done) followed by a formal complaint if the decision notice is not received in a reasonable time.

Is this a common problem?

How would you deal with this?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

I would ring medical services to check when they sent the report to DWP, ring DWP and check that they’ve got it then ask for a handover to the team to explain the delay.

A decision will probably drop out before you get a reply to the handover.

WRT Case Worker
forum member

Citizens Advice Rotherham

Send message

Total Posts: 66

Thanks, Dan

Seems I missed this logical step.