to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

deceased claimant, why won’t HMRC pay arrears

SocSec
forum member

welfare benefits/citizens advice//ashfield

Send message

Total Posts: 277

my client claimed ctc in october 2017, but hmrc took until march 2018 to agree to pay, in meantime my client’s husband died and she has to make a fresh single person HMRC are now saying they can’t pay the ctc due from october 2018 as that couple claim no longer exists, surely this is wrong, what should HMRC do in these circumstances ?? advice please

[ Edited: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:16 pm by SocSec ]
Philippa D
forum member

Weymouth & Portland Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 123

The husband’s death would have ended the claim and stopped payments. At the end of the tax year, the claimant should have received forms to finalise the claim. After finalisation, the claimant should receive an award notice stating how much they were entitled to for the duration of the tax year covered by the claim. HMRC should pay the money owing to the couple after the award notice is issue (often done automatically).

So - as I understand it - HMRC should pay the arrears after finalisation. The new tax year hasn’t long started so is it possible that the finalisation paperwork is just delayed in the post? If not, I would get in touch with HMRC to try and get the finalisation process started.

SocSec
forum member

welfare benefits/citizens advice//ashfield

Send message

Total Posts: 277

many thanks IM,