to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

CA and days in care

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 445

Client’s disabled son is attending a residential school part-time .
He attends the school from Monday to Wednesday and is at home from Thursday to Sunday. If mum manages to reach the 35 hour limit for the days he is home, can she claim CA in full, even though he would only get DLA for the days he is home?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

A week runs from Sunday to Saturday for CA purposes so that would make it harder to get the 35 hours in…
EDIT
Or would it? My head not working properly.

unhindered by talent
forum member

Send message

Yes, assuming he gets DLA for the Thursday and Sunday that would be about 9 hours care per day.

EDIT - or would it be Thursday to Saturday inclusive for the CA week? That would make it 13 hours care she would need to give per day

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

Does he go to school on the Monday and come back on the Wednesday? If so, wouldn’t only the Tuesday count as a day away?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Think my head working again now. If they made the claim on Monday 5th March, the care would have to be provided Thurs 8th - Saturday 10th in the first week, then Sunday 11th , Thursday 15th, Friday 16th and Saturday 17th in the next week. So 11 hours 40 mins p/d in the first week and then 8 hours 45 mins p/d ongoing.

Assuming there is no issue with the partial DLA payment…

And Daphne’s point :-)

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Even if he’s at school on Sunday night through to Weds night, it seems quite feasible?

If it helps, the DRH cites CG/6/1990 as authority for: time spent preparing for a visit on the day the disabled person arrives, travelling with them, and clearing up after the disabled person leaves, all potentially counting towards caring time.

unhindered by talent
forum member

Send message

Thanks, folks. He leaves Aberdeenshire on Sunday and gets there Sunday night and leaves to come home Thursday morning so you are right - Sunday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday would count for DLA. My worry was the partial DLA payment but I can’t see anything in the regs about CA being dependent on 7 days DLA and so long as the 35 hours are met I reckon it will be OK.

dereksi
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Contact a Family, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 47

Hi Unhindered by Talent

You are right. So long as mum is able to provide 35 hrs or more care to the young person on the days that he is home within that benefit week, there should be no barrier to getting carer’s allowance. That fact that the care component is only in payment for part of the week rather than the full week does not prevent this.

Derek

unhindered by talent
forum member

Send message

Lovely, many thanks folks.