Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

DWP guidance on medical assessments for those with conditions such as multiple sclerosis?

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1123

Apologies if I’m imagining this, but…...

Had a call from an adviser in a referring agency saying she’d seen something about DWP guidance on medical assessments for those with conditions such as multiple sclerosis and that this confirmed such assessments had to be carried out by doctors as opposed to physiotherapists/paramedics etc. (this despite the usual rule that HCPs/ADAs being trained to assess all conditions).

Now I too recall seeing something to this effect in the last couple of weeks and I’m pretty sure it was on here - but annoyingly I can’t find it (it could have been in the PIP section, I suppose, but I’ve looked there also).

I did explain that if this was in the context of an appeal I’d be tempted not to raise it as an issue - the important thing that needs to be done is to establish the claimant meets the qualifying criteria, rubbishing the HCP report only ever shows the report is rubbish and not that the claimant qualifies etc.

But still, it would be nice to know I’m not senile just yet - did I imagine this or not? Cheers….

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

There have been a bunch of versions of this guidance but this is the most recent - fresh off WhatDoTheyKnow

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/457359/response/1109237/attach/4/Redacted

Edit: I think that link should work… Let me know if not.

[ Edited: 19 Feb 2018 at 06:02 pm by Elliot Kent ]
past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1123

Yeah - that’s it. Thanks a lot.