× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

New DWP Debt collection system

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 1995

“The Department for Work and Pensions is planning a “Digital Debt Services Project”. The initiative will see the department use technology to manage the debts of up to 15 million UK citizens owing money to the government.

The DWP has put out a contract notice seeking a supplier to implement and maintain a “debt-management system” for use by about 2,300 staff across a number of its offices throughout the UK. By the 2021/22 fiscal year, the platform will need to handle the department’s work to collect money from an estimated nine million debtors. This may subsequently to rise between 12 and 15 million people, the DWP said, and a total of up to 45 million individual debts.

“Any system must be scalable and must be able to integrate with a variety of channels – [such as] self-service – as more customers will interact with us online,” the DWP added.”

https://www.publictechnology.net/articles/news/dwp-digital-project-manage-debts-15-million-citizens

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

I worked as a techie on the Debt Management system many years ago. It’s completely useless and wasn’t fit-for-purpose when it was introduced by the supplier. We did lots of tweaks over the years and improved it somewhat but it’s still rubbish. To get it to a usable state took years so god knows how they expect to introduce another within 3/4 years.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 1995

I was more interested in 15 million people owing money to the DWP.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Gareth Morgan - 19 February 2018 10:57 AM

I was more interested in 15 million people owing money to the DWP.

Thatll be the “All overpayments are recoverable” Universal credit thingamabob

They are preparing for that….