× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Disability Rights Handbook V CPAG Handbook. Which is better?

JAS1
forum member

Advice Worker, Gaddum Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 367

Hello,

Quick question, hope this is the right section of the forum!

I currently use the Disability Rights Handbook day to day. In my last role I used the CPAG Handbook as that was what was available. With the new tax year not too far away I am thinking about which one to request next.  I haven’t used the CPAG handbook for a couple of years but I recall it maybe being more detailed than the Disability Rights Handbook, and being the ‘standard’ reference book for advisers. Is that the case?

Any reason to get one over the other (aside from price)?

Thank you

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Just my opinion but I would say that the CPAG book is better for ‘pure’ benefits information and the DRUK one better for wider Welfare Rights stuff. Ideally you want both…

ub40worker
forum member

Welfare Team, Kensington and Chelsea CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

JAS1 - 12 February 2018 03:06 PM

Hello,

Quick question, hope this is the right section of the forum!

I currently use the Disability Rights Handbook day to day. In my last role I used the CPAG Handbook as that was what was available. With the new tax year not too far away I am thinking about which one to request next.  I haven’t used the CPAG handbook for a couple of years but I recall it maybe being more detailed than the Disability Rights Handbook, and being the ‘standard’ reference book for advisers. Is that the case?

Any reason to get one over the other (aside from price)?

Thank you

CPAG is more in depth. Both if possible but CPAG over DRH if there is no option.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 868

reminds me of a harry hill sketch this.  FIGHT!

I tend to use the DRH for a quick answer to something I already know but just want to double check and the cpag handbook when I’m looking for an answer or its a bit more complicated.

I wouldn’t say one or the other is better. just different resources.

if I were a new worker, not specifically an advice worker I would probably prefer the drh as It tends to be easier to read (but then also tends to have slightly less detail).

ikbikb
forum member

LSD WB supervisor - Bury District CAB, Lancashire

Send message

Total Posts: 146

Stepping Stones to deeper understanding- First DRHB- WIZZ….....Then CPAG- WHIZ….........Then SWEET & MAXWELL various vols but not wiz carefully put to one side then finally many hours puffing on a pipe contemplating

JoW
forum member

Financial inclusion manager - Wythenshawe Community Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 343

I like DRH for when I have forgotten to bring my reading glasses to work because CPAG typeface/font is tiny!

Seriously though I think both are essential.  I find DRH easier to double check things quickly in but prefer CPAG if the query is more in depth and I need to find the regs.

I think DRH is less hard going/ntimidating for new advisers.

JAS1
forum member

Advice Worker, Gaddum Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 367

Thanks very much for the helpful responses everyone

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

I am also finding it impossible to read the small text of the CPAG book.  My organisation responded by purchasing an online subscription to the book.  The text size can be increased/decreased on screen to suit the reader.  It costs the same for a single user as hard copy, is searchable, and permits copy & paste into Word or our case recording system.  Also the annotations are very clear and show up next to the relevant text rather than at the end of a chapter.

I wish I’d discovered it earlier.

[ Edited: 14 Feb 2018 at 08:56 pm by Ruth_T ]
Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1004

If you opt for CPAG, pay a bit extra and get the Magazine (bulletin) too (well worth it)!

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Horses for courses for me really.

DRH is probably more accessible and as name suggests, has more information on disabilty-related information such as social care, blue badges etc. We supply copies to all our local I&A services as they’re often volunteers working there and this meets their needs well.

CPAG is more comprehensive overall but with the result that it can take more time to get to the information that you really need. However, for some of the more arcane and unusual rules around social security, you’ll only find that level of detail or informaiton in CPAG.

As others have noted, in an ideal world, you’d want to have both (and am happy to report I do have both currently).

WRT Case Worker
forum member

Citizens Advice Rotherham

Send message

Total Posts: 66

I use DRH for quick reference, CPAG for more detail and Sweet & Maxwell when it all gets out of hand.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I use both. DRH is especially good on non benefit matters. When it comes to benefits I often find the lack of detail in DRH frustrating to the extent you end up going to CPAG anyway.

It’s also a very good point re: CPAG and font size. I have found myself using it less and less and, upon reflection,  that may be one of the reasons why. The other is that I am one of the people who found the move to 1 book not 2 to be especially unhelpful and the decisions made on the arrangement of the content and (especially) the index to often be bewildering. There are phrases welfs use daily which should be in the index as an item in themselves but appear only as a sub of another topic.

I think this is reflected in the increase in recent years in queries on here from people saying they cannot find the answer and then being guided gently and helpfully by others to the relevant CPAG page. This is often followed by “I had read that but thought… ” type responses. I think that tells us there’s an issue and a rethink on aspects of the book is overdue albeit that it’s no mean task for the admirable people who continue to put the thing together.

The sheer weight of the thing is also unhelpful in terms of the number of times we need a portable resource on home visits etc. and know that we only need one part of the book e.g. means-tested etc.