to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Blue Badge application

Ericonabike
forum member

CAB Leicester

Send message

Total Posts: 14

I was recently dealing with a client whose 30-year-old son has severe learning disabilities. He receives PIP at standard rate for both living and mobility needs. As part of the review I explained to client that he should be eligible for a Blue Badge - this would then be used by client when she takes him out.

Starting the online application, it seemed that he would automatically be eligible as he was getting eight points under mobility needs. However, a few pages further on, it specified that “Receives 8 points or more under the “moving around” activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)”. He received eight points under the “planning a journey” activity and so would have to prove that he was eligible under the discretionary part of the scheme.  Looking into it, I realise that this wording is central, not local government based.

Is this an example of discrimination on grounds of mental health? Surely if the bar is set at eight points for mobility needs it should be irrelevant if this is caused by physical [unable to walk] or mental [unable to plan] issues? Particularly in light of the recent ruling re PIP that the government has now accepted.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

They’re currently reviewing rules here. Story also has some useful background info relevant to your client’s case.

Charities help cover up real reason government announced blue badge changes

Ericonabike
forum member

CAB Leicester

Send message

Total Posts: 14

I love this forum! Thank you so much for that.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3778