× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Recording additionality of UC awards

Andrea Peacock
forum member

Housing - Endeavour Housing Association, Stockton on Tees

Send message

Total Posts: 14

I am very conscious (pedantically so!) that when I record benefit awards that I record only additionality and use the standard x 52 weeks (unless it is for a shorter specified period) plus any backdated period.

How to then to report Universal Credit awards to ensure the integrity of additionality? 

Is there an industry standard for doing this that has passed me by?

Many thanks in anticipation
Andrea

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2901

Looks like we are all too embarrassed to admit we don’t understand the question.  You might have to put it into plain English for us!

Are you asking from a landlord’s point of view about accurately reconciling weekly benefit to a monthly rent account, or monthly benefit to a weekly rent account?  Or am I miles off?

I did google “additionality” before posting this but I was none the wiser.

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

Looks like a question about take up as a result of a welfare rights advisors work,

Something like….How do you record the additional the claimant is entitled to…..after the advisors intervention? 

The reverse is the so called “saving” that fraud officers claim after a intervention?

Maybe…....

Maybe not.

Here in Homelessland we claim preventions, until the definition changes….....

[ Edited: 25 Jan 2018 at 01:54 pm by Rehousing Advice. ]
Lee Forrest
forum member

Team leader of Financial and Social Inclusion - Karbon Homes, Newcastle

Send message

Total Posts: 92

I read this as a question about recording financial gains when an advice worker helps a client with a UC issue.

First, I’d say there’s no industry standard as such- but NAWRA’s decade old guidance (and what Karbon Homes uses as a standard) states:

“Annual cash amount of ongoing benefit gained per case.  This should be measured as follows:  Amount of weekly benefit gained multiplied by 52….  Ideally only actual confirmed benefit gains should be included per claimant (i.e. aggregate children, couples but not non dependants whose gain would be counted separately)” and;

“....the rationale and methodology should be transparent and overt.  If it is reasonably foreseeable that the entitlement will cease before 52 weeks, a shorter estimated period should be used based on the adviser’s estimate of that shorter period.  The adviser should record the basis for any such conclusion.”  and:

“A confirmed benefit gain is one where the adviser either has written confirmation from DWP/LA/HMRC of a benefit award or the client reports that the additional money has been paid to them.  This therefore requires advisers to have a system for monitoring and following-up claims which are made.”

I guess the issue with UC is it’s up and down nature, and scenarios where it’s reasonably foreseeable that the entitlement will cease before 52 weeks…. If you were being really pedantic, you’d only record your gain for the month, but this might be a bit too narrow…. Or maybe not…..

[ Edited: 25 Jan 2018 at 02:03 pm by Lee Forrest ]
ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

i found a definition of additionality (is that an americanism?):

Additionality is the property of an activity being additional. It is a determination of whether an intervention has an effect, when the intervention is compared to a baseline. ‘Interventions’ can take a variety of forms, but often include economic incentives.

so i wonder if Lee is correct in his thinking about what you were asking?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I read it very straightforwardly as Lee described. Embarrassed looks all round as we all know agencies for whom the calculation of financial gains has become something of an art form for many reasons.