Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Uploading documents on to the journal

1 2 > 

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1011

On the journal despite assurances to the contrary from local DWP contacts, the only area in which documents can be uploaded are CV’s (actually says don’t upload other documents).

Anyway, that said, for practical purposes and overcoming ‘operational issues’, is there anything to stop people uploading e.g. med certs and referring to them in the journal and saying it has been uploaded in the CV bit?

Mark R
forum member

Pathways Advice, Mental Health Matters, Gateshead

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Would be very interested to know of anyone’s experience with this as it could really help on a number of issues.

Anyone have any practical knowledge of this at all?  Thanks.

forum member

Send message

I don’t this it is possible despite DWP youtube stuff and Partnership managers suggest this is possible etc.

I think i confused a request on a client’s journal to upload their CV as a window of opportunity for the future to use to upload other stuff (hasten to add client wanted to upload a couple of docs).

But as far i can tell without the WC initiating stuff the ‘build’ has not hit those heady heights yet, where documents can be uploaded!

Mark R
forum member

Pathways Advice, Mental Health Matters, Gateshead

Send message

Total Posts: 9

OK - thanks for that Andy.  Will be interesting to see when (if) anything develops on this.

disgustedofbridport
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 44

A CAB contact (has been 100% reliable to date) at Yeovil Jobcentre says that there is no way to upload documents to a journal at the moment, though she said that the DWP “are hoping to have the facility some time this year”.

Stuart
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 890

Written answer yesterday on upload functionality (relating to childcare costs evidence) ...

We are currently developing a new functionality for Universal Credit online accounts, which will allow claimants to upload evidence of their childcare costs via their online Universal Credit account. This new function should be available to use in Spring 2018, making it even easier for claimants to provide evidence of these costs.

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1123

Update on this - it is now possible to upload documents to the journal.

This I know because I have been assisting a client where the minimum income floor has been applied where she has done no work since September and she has been accepted (via a February decision) as having LCFW and LCFWRA also since September.

The issue has been getting UC to accept that self-employment has ended - the DM in the service centre had accepted that the client had taken the required bank statements into the Jobcentre but that JC staff had failed to upload the documents. Client has significant mental health problems which include symptoms of paranoia so I couldn’t persuade her to go back to the Jobcentre to provide the statements again…..

Anyway, we’ve managed to persuade the DM to create a ‘to do’ for the client which is an ‘upload documents’ - I’ve just been into her journal with her and it is possible to upload the scanned pdfs of the bank statements that I’d already saved.

I do not think, however, that this is something generally available as yet - in the sense that I don’t think it sits there as a constant function in the journal for all claimants - I think you need to badger someone at the service centre to create the ‘to do’ and then it appears…..

forum member

Send message

past caring - 09 March 2018 12:45 PM

Update on this - it is now possible to upload documents to the journal.

This I know because I have been assisting a client where the minimum income floor has been applied where she has done no work since September and she has been accepted (via a February decision) as having LCFW and LCFWRA also since September.

The issue has been getting UC to accept that self-employment has ended - the DM in the service centre had accepted that the client had taken the required bank statements into the Jobcentre but that JC staff had failed to upload the documents. Client has significant mental health problems which include symptoms of paranoia so I couldn’t persuade her to go back to the Jobcentre to provide the statements again…..

Anyway, we’ve managed to persuade the DM to create a ‘to do’ for the client which is an ‘upload documents’ - I’ve just been into her journal with her and it is possible to upload the scanned pdfs of the bank statements that I’d already saved.

I do not think, however, that this is something generally available as yet - in the sense that I don’t think it sits there as a constant function in the journal for all claimants - I think you need to badger someone at the service centre to create the ‘to do’ and then it appears…..

That’s really helpful!

past caring
forum member

Send message

Should also add that there is also a ‘comments’ box sitting below the ‘upload documents’ to allow you to provide additional information in respect of whatever you’ve uploaded.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

JCP liaison mentioned to us that there should be facility to upload childcare costs evidence to a UC journal by (I think) next Wednesday.

davidsmithp1000
forum member

Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Total Posts: 195

Hi, on a side note, can you post straightforward web links to a journal? It would be fairly straightforward for example to create a google doc and then just link to it? Thanks

past caring
forum member

Send message

I don’t see why not - and it has its attractions as an idea.

However, there have been some instances of the DWP trying to argue that MRs cannot be requested via a journal entry and whilst I think it would struggle to sustain that argument if push came to shove (given that UC is supposed to be ‘‘digital by default”) I am not so sure - in cases where it was actually an issue - that an argument that a document uploaded to google, accompanied by a separate journal entry, had been ‘sent’ would
necessarily succeed…..

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

past caring - 21 March 2018 03:14 PM

Ian argument that a document uploaded to google, accompanied by a separate journal entry, had been ‘sent’ would
necessarily succeed…..

and reg 37 of the UC (C&P) regs demands that information is provided “in such manner as the Sec State determines” so they are at discretion to refuse to accept it.

Glenys
forum member

Housing Systems, Leeds

Send message

Total Posts: 206

Jon (CHDCA) - 09 March 2018 02:40 PM

JCP liaison mentioned to us that there should be facility to upload childcare costs evidence to a UC journal by (I think) next Wednesday.

Update - from a CRG meeting in the North West attended by a colleague -
Was told that claimant can now ask work coach set up the “upload button” on To Do list for child care costs.
But in terms of MR requests, was told it might come in but local Job Centres aren’t notified of what changes are due to come in and when - however request for this facility has been noted.  (So presume is still at work coach discretion).

davidsmithp1000
forum member

Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Hi, does anyone have any updates on general availability of this service? Thanks

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

davidsmithp1000 - 19 June 2018 05:35 PM

Hi, does anyone have any updates on general availability of this service? Thanks

I don’t know about general availability but; I suspect -thanks to Past Caring’s experience being communicated to them- our local JCP are now accepting uploads of certain documents for people under our appointeeship.

MKM35
forum member

ASG PBS UC Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 111

I have always used this functionality. It is very easy to request and does not require badgering. Simply post a journal note to work coach and inform that you need to upload a document. The button to upload then appears in the To-Do section.
Response time for this has varied from a few minutes to about 30minutes.

It helps to also state why the document is being uploaded (because of that hour long delay) and if it’s to be forwarded to case manager for their reference.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

MKM35 - 20 June 2018 05:03 PM

I have always used this functionality. It is very easy to request and does not require badgering. Simply post a journal note to work coach and inform that you need to upload a document. The button to upload then appears in the To-Do section.

It helps to also state why the document is being uploaded (because of that hour long delay) and if it’s to be forwarded to case manager for their reference.

Huh. I wonder why they can’t just make it permanently available?

Related, a page to upload photos of fit notes (I haven’t actually tried it yet, has anyone else?):
https://send-fit-note.service.gov.uk/device?lang=en

forum member

Send message

It does beg the question why the DWP are not doing this as the norm, until the ‘build’ extends to claimants being able too.

What examples of documents have people been able to get uploaded e.g. med certs, tenancy agreements, etc?

forum member

Send message

Jon (CHDCA) - 20 June 2018 05:13 PM

Related, a page to upload photos of fit notes (I haven’t actually tried it yet, has anyone else?):

Jon, this question i.e. fitnotes was raised in a another forum thingy, and feedback was very positive, in fact so positive can’t wait to use it instead of the alternative via Kidderminister/Telford/ Wolverhampton and Chippenham!

MKM35
forum member

ASG PBS UC Shelter

Send message

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District - 20 June 2018 05:15 PM

What examples of documents have people been able to get uploaded e.g. med certs, tenancy agreements, etc?

I’ve used it for everything - mandatory reconsiderations, housing verifications, even uploaded financial statements for financial hardship. Basically, if it’s a paper document you want the DWP to see, use the upload button!

I believe it used to be a part of the build but was taken down because some claimants used it to share memes and such - think personal diaries/ journal and bullet journal.

forum member

Send message

MKM35 - 20 June 2018 10:56 PM
Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District - 20 June 2018 05:15 PM

I’ve used it for everything - mandatory reconsiderations, housing verifications, even uploaded financial statements for financial hardship. Basically, if it’s a paper document you want the DWP to see, use the upload button!

I believe it used to be a part of the build but was taken down because some claimants used it to share memes and such - think personal diaries/ journal and bullet journal.

Can’t resist this next question, but just in case you know the answer have to ask it!

So if it was really part of the build, but taken down because e.g. memes (can’t help but think that there has to be an built in assumption baring in mind the design and communication via journal that would/will happen), what would be any different about the currently phased area by area upload regarding claimants uploading memes etc?

MKM35
forum member

ASG PBS UC Shelter

Send message

[/quote]
So if it was really part of the build, but taken down because e.g. memes (can’t help but think that there has to be an built in assumption baring in mind the design and communication via journal that would/will happen), what would be any different about the currently phased area by area upload regarding claimants uploading memes etc?
[/quote]

I don’t know for sure, tbh. But if I had to guess, I would say possibly it is linked to the training offered to claimants about what’s appropriate to share on Twitter profiles/ facebook/ Linked-in and journals.

Shall I ask the JCP?

forum member

Send message

MKM35 - 21 June 2018 09:59 AM

I don’t know for sure, tbh. But if I had to guess, I would say possibly it is linked to the training offered to claimants about what’s appropriate to share on Twitter profiles/ facebook/ Linked-in and journals.

Shall I ask the JCP?

Yes please!

Dan
forum member

CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 15

Good morning

Can claimants upload a photo of a document (which you can manage with your phone) or does it have to be a scanned pdf (requiring a scanner)?

Has anyone had any experience of uploading childcare costs? I wonder in practice whether a receipt for childcare received during an assessment period and uploaded in the last few days of the AP will actually result in a payment of childcare costs element at the end of the assessment period.

Thanks and best wishes

Glenys
forum member

Housing Systems, Leeds

Send message

Total Posts: 206

stuart - 28 February 2018 10:31 AM

Written answer yesterday on upload functionality (relating to childcare costs evidence) ...

We are currently developing a new functionality for Universal Credit online accounts, which will allow claimants to upload evidence of their childcare costs via their online Universal Credit account. This new function should be available to use in Spring 2018, making it even easier for claimants to provide evidence of these costs.

Is this possible yet, does anyone know?

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

I’m coming back to this to ask if it is working for others? 2 requests on the client’s journal for an upload facility have been completely ignored and there is no upload button to be seen anywhere on the account. I have explained what we need it for.

NeverSayNo
forum member

Welfare rights department - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Bump.

Just had a social worker on the phone trying to use this service and could not get it to work - delay and page not updating, and also tried different sizes of of pictures and not working at all.

Anyone else using it successfully?

MKM35
forum member

ASG PBS UC Shelter

Send message

I’m still using it - if that helps at all?
It doesn’t work if claim has been closed or suspended, but other than that, it’s been pretty reliable

ub40worker
forum member

Welfare Team, Kensington and Chelsea CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

NeverSayNo - 15 January 2019 04:54 PM

Bump.

Just had a social worker on the phone trying to use this service and could not get it to work - delay and page not updating, and also tried different sizes of of pictures and not working at all.

Anyone else using it successfully?

From experience it didn’t work for Med 10 fit notes and was more designed for Med 3 fit notes as Med 10’s are double sided.

MKM35
forum member

ASG PBS UC Shelter

Send message

You can upload multiple pages ex: a tenancy agreement.