Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Apprentice couple

Juno333
forum member

Money Advice Team, Thirteen Group

Send message

Total Posts: 6

Hi

I have a young couple in their early 20’s.  Mr is an apprentice, working 30 hrs and getting £105pw (£3.50ph).  Ms is currently on ESA (I) WRAG, and they’re moving in together.  They’re being told that because Mr works 24+ hrs they can’t claim any JSA or ESA top us to the £114.85 applicable amount.

I’d have thought there was an exemption for apprentices in this scenario, but can’t find any reference to one in the handbook.

Does anyone know if this exemption exists and where to find it?  Seems harsh if it doesn’t as they’re effecively worse off than if neither of them work at all.

Thanks

John

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

If he’s working 30 hours they should be able to claim working tax credit (unless you’re UC full service)

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

May need to be aged 25+ for WTC though. Previous thread on similar situation:
https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/9572/

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

Good point - missed the early 20s bit! They would be better off if they were UC full service!! When are they due to move over?

Juno333
forum member

Money Advice Team, Thirteen Group

Send message

Total Posts: 6

Not till late this year, unfortunately, and ironically she can’t even claim live UC in her area as it’s just ceased!

Yes, its unfortunate that it’s Mr who’s only 23 and Ms who’s 26 or they could get WTC.

SarahP
forum member

Derby Advice - Derby Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 28

How long have they been on the apprenticeship? The wage should increase to £7.05 per hour after the first year of the apprenticeship has been completed.