to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC decisions - worries about lack of detail

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1961

Attached is a UC overpayment decision sent to a claimant last month, which has only just come to light.

I am worried that it provides very, very few details, doesn’t discuss the facts or how the overpayment arose, doesn’t provide a schedule of overpayment of any sort and doesn’t refer to the Regulations applied in making the decision.

MR rights are mentioned at the far end of it (more in the context of getting an explanation), but it comes over as a bit of a fait accompli.

I think the explanation should be given right away.

The claimant is very vulnerable and could be caused financial hardship by the recovery of such a large debt - there is no mention of any help that may be available, and indeed the Code of Conduct regarding UC overpayments was withdrawn in October 2017, apparently without explanation. I’ve put in a FoI asking what has happened to it and if it is going to be replaced.

Thoughts?

[ Edited: 11 Jan 2018 at 01:57 pm by Andrew Dutton ]

File Attachments

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

This was always likely to be an issue given that all overpayments are recoverable.

Presumably because the assessment / payment history is updated to show only the ‘revised’ entitlement for each assessemnt period it is difficult to work backwards to assertain a possible explanation for and calculation of the overpayment? Nor is there any explanation in the journal?

Anticipated UC wil generate a lot of unneccessary MRs & appeals as an appeal submission will be the only practical way to get the information and explanation required to advise a client if there are any grounds to challenge the calculation of the o/p in the first place! - rather like with many TC o/p’s - CTC/2662 & 3981/2005 para 19.

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 369

Very difficult - without help I can’t see how the claimant would work out if they had in fact been overpaid & whether the amounts are correct.

Also agree that it’s very concerning MR/appeal rights aren’t flagged up more, because even if all o/ps are recoverable, there’s still the question of whether she was in fact overpaid.

And then of course there’s the question of whether anyone is going to even think about asking the DWP not to recover when they don’t mention this as an option & the guidance has disappeared.

Andrew - a question - did the claimant actually get this in the post or was the letter attached to their online account?

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

It was on the online account. I didn’t have to remove any identifying marks - there weren’t any.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Can’t you challenge the legality of the purported decision itself? My emphasis.

71ZB Recovery of overpayments of certain benefits

(1)The Secretary of State may recover any amount of the following paid in excess of entitlement—

(a)universal credit….

(2)An amount recoverable under this section is recoverable from—

(a)the person to whom it was paid, or

(b)such other person (in addition to or instead of the person to whom it was paid) as may be prescribed.

(3)An amount paid in pursuance of a determination is not recoverable under this section unless the determination has been—

(a)reversed or varied on an appeal, or

(b)revised or superseded under section 9 or section 10 of the Social Security Act 1998,

except where regulations otherwise provide.

Do the rrelevant egulations allow for a sec.9 or 10 decision not to be made for UC overpayments? Do claimants no longer have to receive decision notices to the same effect as for any overpayment at least, so that they can understand what is supposed to have taken place? There is absolutely nothing in this shabby letter that fulfils the statutory requirements here. The fact is that a revision or supersession decision is still needed, as well as a separate and later overpayment decision as far as I’m aware.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

Paul, many thanks. I will work on this.

JoW
forum member

Financial inclusion manager - Wythenshawe Community Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 343

I know this is beside the point but did you delete parts of the sentences or was it really this poorly written?

No reference to the years for the dates they refer to, the use of an acronym that I’m sure isn’t used in common parlance (LCWRA), lack of full stops and inappropriate use of capital letters - some months warrant one whilst others don’t!

I mean my grammar isn’t great but .....

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

Yes, it really is as received by the claimant. No alterations or deletions.

I’ve raised the (lack of) quality of UC communications before, but things have not improved.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

I’m sending that letter to the UC communications team for their comments…

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 11 January 2018 01:46 PM

Can’t you challenge the legality of the purported decision itself? My emphasis.

71ZB Recovery of overpayments of certain benefits

(1)The Secretary of State may recover any amount of the following paid in excess of entitlement—

(a)universal credit….

(2)An amount recoverable under this section is recoverable from—

(a)the person to whom it was paid, or

(b)such other person (in addition to or instead of the person to whom it was paid) as may be prescribed.

(3)An amount paid in pursuance of a determination is not recoverable under this section unless the determination has been—

(a)reversed or varied on an appeal, or

(b)revised or superseded under section 9 or section 10 of the Social Security Act 1998,

except where regulations otherwise provide.

Do the rrelevant egulations allow for a sec.9 or 10 decision not to be made for UC overpayments? Do claimants no longer have to receive decision notices to the same effect as for any overpayment at least, so that they can understand what is supposed to have taken place? There is absolutely nothing in this shabby letter that fulfils the statutory requirements here. The fact is that a revision or supersession decision is still needed, as well as a separate and later overpayment decision as far as I’m aware.

It may be worth going back into the awards section of the journal, to see if the decision(s) for the months in question have been altered in the background (e.g. see this thread).

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

Good point Jon.