Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Self-managed incontinence

kd01
forum member

Macmillan Benefits Team, LeicesterShire Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Hello,

I would appreciate any thoughts on this :)

Client is a single person who works and is completely independent in looking after herself. She suffers from urine incontinence and has to self catheterise daily. She constantly has to change clothing, bed sheets and clean car seats, etc due to accidents and she is anxious about an accident occurring when she goes out. However, she does go out for work and whenever else she needs to. She is able to shower and change her clothes reliably as soon as an accident has occurred but she is exhausted due to broken sleep as a result of the incontinence.

She has been awarded 2 points for D/L due to needing an aid/appliance to manage toilet needs or incontinence. Client isn’t happy with the decision but we’re struggling to see how she may meet the criteria for the benefit to be awarded.

It seems that her condition is severely debilitating but as she is so independent she does not fit the criteria.

Please let me know if there is anything we might be missing here!

Many Thanks

Kate

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

Looks to me that your analysis is correct from the known info.

Sadly not everyone with a disability can get PIP.

I have taken to thinking it would be better to pay a lower rate or Standard Rate of PIP on the basis of the existence of a condition or disability as an initial threshold rather than make everyone jump through hoops.

After the basic, qualifying element, then other criterion could be used to assess entitlement to higher rates.