to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Forced UC Migration?

WHA
forum member

Money Advice Officer, Warrington Housing Association, Warrington

Send message

Total Posts: 41

I’ve come across an unusual HB decision and wondered whether anyone else has experienced this.

My client has ended his employment but has not made any claim for benefits as yet. He had an ongoing HB claim whilst in work but this has been terminated upon him notifying them that his employment had ended.

The decision notice states:

“Following your recent change of circumstances you need to claim housing costs through Universal Credit. Please contact Universal Credit on 0345 600 0723 to make a claim.” ... “Your Housing Benefit has stopped because Natural Migration to Universal Credit”

My client would have preferred to remain on HB temporarily whilst looking for a new job, and has family who are willing to help him out financially for a short time. He is wary of UC due to the recent negative press and also due to the likelihood of being sanctioned due to the circumstances surrounding the end of his work.

Is it right for them to insist he claims UC rather than reassessing his claim based on a nil income, or on the little bit of assistance from family?

Thanks

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

No, they are wrong, wrong, wrong.  One thing and one thing only will cause him to lose his HB entitlement for UC-related reasons: that is if he claims UC, and it is up to him whether and when he does so.  Regulation 8 of the UC (TP) Regs 2014 is what causes the HB to end.  Article 7 of the No 23 commencement order prevents a new claim for any legacy benefits from being made, but since he already has one that issue does not arise.  They should revise their decision.

WHA
forum member

Money Advice Officer, Warrington Housing Association, Warrington

Send message

Total Posts: 41

That was my inclination.

Not to mention the fact that they have referred to the phone line instead of directing them online…. and the way DWP slang has crept into a HB decision.