to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Access to local authority benefit services

ASH
forum member

Welfare officer - St Christopher's Hospice, SE London

Send message

Total Posts: 110

I have just heard that yet another local authority in this area (SE London) is about to close all telephone access to their services. At least one authority has also closed their face to face access points too. 

The justification is supposedly that everyone can get ‘better access’ online (!) and people may as well get used to it anyway because of universal credit.  They argue that those who are computer illiterate can always get access to friend or relative who is not.

Are there any campaigns being raised against this?

I am finding it hard to believe that this is not in direct contravention of the DDA.  Aside from the facts that even on gvmt figures 15% of 16 to 65 year olds are functionally illiterate there are a whole slew of other reasons using a computer is out of the question for others. 

This is about access to blue badge, freedom passes and all benefits.  My guess is hitting mostly people with disabilities. 

What about security when you are forced to put private information on public access computers?

What about security when you are forced to share passwords and access codes with a ‘helpful friend’ who is helping you access your account?

Even UC has phone access to get problems sorted out quickly.  One council say they will respond to your email query within 10 days.  By then unnecessary debts have piled up, bailiffs have probably come and gone, and unnecessary legal action taken even if the person at the other end of the email does answer the query properly and there is no need for to and fro sharing of information.

[ Edited: 28 Sep 2017 at 09:55 am by Daphne ]
Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Ahem. Well let’s start with the fact it’s the Equality Act not the DDA 😊

Anyways, not aware of anything. What’s needed is a client who is hard to reach. Someone who is socially isolated in some way. An older person who lives alone; whose children live a way away and who doesn’t see their neighbours and doesn’t have computer access. Someone with a sensory impairment. Well, thinking about it, what you need is actual real world examples to take forward.

I do agree that it’s an untenable situation though and it does need challenging.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

You need someone capable of waving the red flag of judicial review in their faces for:
a) lack of, or inadequate public consultation;
b) potential breaches of the Equality Act; or
c) both

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

There’s information about the Public Sector Equality Dury and how to challenges breaches of this in sections 2 and 5 of our factsheet Equality, discrimination and the Public Sector Equality Duty

Public Law Project might be willing to get involved as these type of blanket decisions certainly seem to fit within their current casework priorities

ASH
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes - 27 September 2017 10:20 AM

. Well let’s start with the fact it’s the Equality Act not the DDA :).

As soon as I posted it I realised I was living in the olden days along with the DHSS and UB40s and welfare rights rather than reform. 

Sorry about the missing ‘s’ too.  That’s very annoying.

[ Edited: 27 Sep 2017 at 02:22 pm by ASH ]
Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Oh I’m not fussed about punctuation. Language is a living thing, ever changing.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3548

I’ve put the ‘s’ in for you Ash - that sort of thing bugs me too ;)

ASH
forum member

Send message

Thanks Daphne.

I am afraid my clients are all to ill or shell shocked to consider taking action.  Anyone else out there considering taking action? 

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

Councils transforming their services is in many ways a good thing. However it needs to be done sensibly and sensitively. 

A case in point.

A resident wanted a dead badger taken away, so she signed on line to the councils site. Unable to find any results under D for dead, B for badger, or A for animal, she thought about phoning, but there were no contact details…..... so the resident turned up at the council offices and put the dead badger on the desk…......

If as a LA you don’t want to be badgered…....the lesson is clear. 

Good luck Ash.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Acid test for me is to go see if I can find the sensory team. Very much a Cinderella service and the lack of information on how to access it is very revealing.