Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

legitimate for representatives to give evidence to tribunal? 

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

Our agency advises on benefits and debts and we frequently do PIP appeals.  We would like to use as evidence in relation to Activity 10 (managing money) a statement from our debt team, outlining the difficulties this client has and the problems that have arisen (with the permission of the client of course).  Can you see any problems with the agency which is representing the client also giving evidence?  And moving on from that, is there any problem in principle with the representative attending the hearing giving evidence – we have had two cases where we want to: (a) a representative with Type 1 diabetes giving evidence on her own teenage difficulties managing the condition as relevant as to whether the young claimant could manage it for herself; and (b) where our experience with the client meant that we could give evidence on her intense anxiety, inability to go outside and so on. 

I’d be grateful for any comments

Ruth

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

There was another thread on this and a definitive UT decision. I’ll see if I can find it now.

And here you go…

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11255

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

That’s brilliant Mike.  I thought I had come across this somewhere before!  thanks Ruth

Sanatkumar Dave
forum member

Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council's Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 23

CDLA/1138/03 is a good one.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Thanks Dave