Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Full service roll out delayed?

1 2 3 > 

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

We were due to go full service in 3 weeks. Big rumour of high level meeting today to decide whether roll out will be delayed (due to concerns from Treasury / OBR?).

Local DWP stakeholder meeting due next Monday with LA attendance to introduce rollout, local support arrangement etc but have been put on notice it may be cancelled due to above.

Are DWP finally listening ????

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

“As a result of recent criticism including the National Audit Office report on homelessness and Citizens Advice’s Universal Credit and Debt, the Department for Work and Pensions is meeting today to consider the national rollout of Universal Credit.

We understand that there is a strong possibility that the national rollout will be delayed. We hope that there will be an announcement about the rollout this week.”

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3776

Ooh interesting .... where’s the quote from Peter?

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

shawn - 22 September 2017 10:55 AM

Ooh interesting .... where’s the quote from Peter?

email from DWP regional stakeholder manager and Oxford city council welfare reform team regarding possible concellation of the DWP stakeholder UC conference (hosted by city council) due to take place at Oxford Town Hall next Monday.

Apparently something ‘details unknown’ has been sent to Citizens Advice nationally concerning the possible delay and suggesting an announcement re roll out within the next week (don’t quote me!). Speculation it may be today while all eyes are diverted to Mrs May’s little speach?

Ironically I was out delivering UC training when the email was sent!

Am I correct that the Commemcement Order for the autum roll out have still not been laid before parliament? Cutting it a bit fine for our rollo ut on 18 Oct.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Peter Turville - 22 September 2017 11:19 AM

Am I correct that the Commencement Order for the autumn roll out have still not been laid before parliament? Cutting it a bit fine for our rollout on 18 Oct.

Cutting it even finer, the Statutory Rule for next Wednesday’s introduction of UC in Northern Ireland isn’t out yet (See today’s rightsnet news: https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/introduction-of-universal-credit-in-northern-ireland2)

JoW
forum member

Financial inclusion manager - Wythenshawe Community Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 343

Not heard any announcements - anyone else?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Sad, when the biggest excitement of the week could be because government decides to not do something.

We shall see.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

Peter Turville - 22 September 2017 11:19 AM

Am I correct that the Commemcement Order for the autum roll out have still not been laid before parliament? Cutting it a bit fine for our rollo ut on 18 Oct.

We got told the SI would be out 28/29 if it is going ahead…

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

Attended the meeting this morning. Official line from DWP at local level is that roll out will proceed as normal (but to be fair they would not be advised anything different until there is any official announcement) .

So as it stands the first Jobcentre area locally (Abingdon) will go full service on 4 Oct followed by Oxford 18 Oct.

My understanding is that Commencement Orders are laid at least 28 days before they are due to come into effect.

So ............?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

I don’t know if there is a rule that says that but SI.No.584/2017 only came out on 26 April 2017 with the first postcodes going full service on 3 May 2017

And SI.No.57/2017 similarly came out on 26 January for postcodes changing from 1 February…

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1961

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-information-office/l07.pdf

This indicates that Commencement Orders are usually not subject to any procedure and can just be laid down - so it doesn’t look good, if I have read the leaflet correctly.

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

and given the last minute Order for NI https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11826/ here we (GB) go!? [resigned smiley face]

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Apparently .... 

The Government’s flagship welfare reforms have been thrown into jeopardy after 12 Conservative MPs wrote a private letter to the Work and Pensions Secretary demanding a pause in the roll-out of Universal Credit.

More: Tory rebellion throws Universal Credit reforms into chaos

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

shawn - 29 September 2017 09:23 AM

Apparently .... 

The Government’s flagship welfare reforms have been thrown into jeopardy after 12 Conservative MPs wrote a private letter to the Work and Pensions Secretary demanding a pause in the roll-out of Universal Credit.

More: Tory rebellion throws Universal Credit reforms into chaos

Shawn you just beat me to this! Does lend some credibility to the information circulating last week that a ministerial announcement was to be made.

I wonder what the position will be if there is no commencement order in time for next Wed. when the 1st Oxon Jobcentre is due to go full service?

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message