Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Can a client continue to use a blue badge whilst he is waiting for his review to take place? 

iut044
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser, West Lancs Disability Helpline, Skelmersdale

Send message

Total Posts: 206

Hello

A client of mine was awarded a blue badge.  He lives in Lancashire (Lancashire County Council is the relevant council).  However, he was refused the blue badge on renewal on the basis that his disability was not severe enough.  The client has written a letter asking for a review.  The previous blue badge had expired.  Can the client continue to use the blue badge whilst he is waiting for the review to take place?

There is no mention of this situation in the CPAG handbook or the disability rights handbook.

Lancashire County Council do not mention this situation on their website.  However, I telephoned them and was told that once a badge has expired the person cannot use it, even if they have asked for a review.  Although they said that a person can continue to use the badge until it expires if their renewal fails (this applies even if the person has not asked for a review).

The Citizens Advice website says “If you already have a Blue Badge and have been refused a renewal, you can still use it until you get the result of your review”.  However, there is no mention of where citizens advice obtained their information from. 

Thanks

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

iut044 - 04 September 2017 05:49 PM

The Citizens Advice website says “If you already have a Blue Badge and have been refused a renewal..

I would read that to say: “If you already have a valid Blue Badge..”. If it’s an attempted renewal after the existing one has expired, I wouldn’t expect it to apply.
I have no special source for this.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Try here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/638526/blue-badge-rights-responsibilities.pdf

It is illegal to display an expired Blue Badge. Likely outcome will be a parking ticket and, if further reported, a potential 4 figure fine.

Granted the renewal and review process does not help (slow, inappropriate and clunky) but people can sign up for reminder services where available.

Oldestrocker
forum member

Principal - Forensic Accountants, Canterbury

Send message

Total Posts: 100

Slightly off the subject but still relevant to a BB. I have a client (69) who did not manage to gain any points for his DLA transition to PIP for either moving around or planning, yet with the same evidence and sending the council a copy of the PIP decision notice last week was awarded a BB without any assessment!! He previously had a long term DLA award for High Mobility.

One does wonder what is happening