to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

People with MS face cuts on transfer from DLA to PIP

Stuart
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 890

A new FOI response from DWP about benefit cuts faced by people with MS shows that almost a third who received the highest rate mobility component of DLA, and nearly a quarter who received the highest rate care component, had their payments cut after being reassessed for PIP.

https://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-news/2017/08/millions-pounds-taken-people-ms-under-pip

Oldestrocker
forum member

Principal - Forensic Accountants, Canterbury

Send message

Total Posts: 100

None of that surprises me at all.

Although not MS related, I had the opportunity to talk to a person recently that had been receiving DLA high rate for both components and a 60% IIDB award for life since 1995. The individual concerned suffered irreversible frontal lobe brain damage and a damaged lower spine.
Additionally he continues to suffer from PTSD.
He was assessed in 2013 and in 2014 by the hospital Spinal Unit using a treadmill and they reported that he walks slowly for up to 18 metres then his gait changes dramatically whereupon he falls to the floor.
His mental conditions are such that he is not safe to look after himself and has family members who care for him.
On transfer to PIP at age 68 he received 4 points for moving around and 8 points for aids (two sticks, two hearing aids, bath chair and raised toilet seat and frame). He did not seek help during that transfer stage stating that he didn’t know that help was available.

Unfortunately he has refused to engage with me with a request for a MR saying that he could not face the prospect of another face to face assessment and ‘court hearing’ - he would accept what he was given (3 year award).

His Motability car was taken back and now has to rely on the goodwill of others and their cars.

We all know of these types of cases apart from MS sufferers.