to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Award review

Ed Pybus
forum member

Welfare rights worker for disabled children and families - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 40

What are peoples’ experience of reviews at the end of fixed length PIP awards at present?

I understand the latest system letters contain the following:

What happens when PIP ends
If we’ve given you a date when your PIP will end, we will aim to write to you around 14 weeks before that date to remind you. We will explain how to claim again if you still need help with daily living or mobility needs.
If for some reason you don’t get the letter from us at least 4 weeks before this date, you should contact us for advice.

which suggests the DWP won’t instigate a review process at the end of a fixed term review.  Previous guidance suggests that the end date is set for 12 months after the review date. I’m wondering if the guidance has changed - I’ve asked the DWP…...

[ Edited: 24 Aug 2017 at 10:41 am by Ed Pybus ]
Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

edpybus - 24 August 2017 10:14 AM

What are peoples’ experience of reviews at the end of fixed length PIP awards at present?

I understand the latest system letters contain the following:

What happens when PIP ends
If we’ve given you a date when your PIP will end, we will aim to write to you around 14 weeks before that date to remind you. We will explain how to claim again if you still need help with daily living or mobility needs.
If for some reason you don’t get the letter from us at least 4 weeks before this date, you should contact us for advice.

which suggests the DWP won’t instigate a review process at the end of a fixed term review.

If it’s a short period no they won’t. I’m not sure what the threshold is but one of mine with a 2 year award recently got one of the 14 week letters and an advisor told me they hadn’t launched the 12 month intervention because it was a short term award.

I thought it might have been because a Tribunal made the award but apparently not.

Ed Pybus
forum member

Send message

Thanks Dan - I’ve updated the post slightly just to clarify. I knew there were cases of people with 2 year awards getting reviewed after 12 months - which seems a bit much.

davidsmithp1000
forum member

Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Total Posts: 195

I’m more concerned about this sort of thing happening;

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11621/

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

The guidance said at one point that a short term award was under 2 years. If it was more than 2 years there would be an intervention (review) 12 months before - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/313749/response/773973/attach/html/4/PIP Award Policy.pdf.html

But it has also said that an award of under 2 years could be made “with or without a planned intervention” - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/223978/response/555889/attach/2/01 Decision making process Part 1 DWP S252214 v3 5.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

I don’t know if this has changed again but I have seen a couple of cases recently where the intervention/review is all a bit random - for example https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11650/  The only explanation I got on that case was ‘it is because he has bi-polar and his needs might have changed”...

Ed Pybus
forum member

Send message

davidsmithp1000 - 24 August 2017 10:45 AM

I’m more concerned about this sort of thing happening;

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11621/

Is your concern that DWP and reviewing award prior to the end of award period, or that FtT is, possibly in error, setting aside the SSWP’s decision rather than changing it?

Ed Pybus
forum member

Send message

Billy Durrant - 24 August 2017 12:12 PM

I don’t know if this has changed again but I have seen a couple of cases recently where the intervention/review is all a bit random - for example https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11650/  The only explanation I got on that case was ‘it is because he has bi-polar and his needs might have changed”...

I’m wondering if there is a pattern to the randomness….

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 470

Revisiting this thread because our of our Deputyship clients has an award due to end in November and has had a sort of “reminder” letter from PIP.

Any opinions/advice about when is the best time to get a new claim made. Obviously we want to avoid her losing or having this award reduced but it’s also reasonably important to get a new claim decided before this one terminates, the more so because she is in the process of moving from hospital to the community.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Rosie W - 07 August 2018 10:55 AM

Any opinions/advice about when is the best time to get a new claim made.

Now.

If they’re in hospital there’s a good chance they’ll assess on the papers rather than F2F and that process can drag on.

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 470

Thanks Dan - that’s the conclusion I’d come to and have just emailed the Deputyship team to that effect.