Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC Full Service and photo id

JoW
forum member

Financial inclusion manager - Wythenshawe Community Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 343

Hello

Could anyone in a full service UC area update on id issues. We are being told that claimants will need photo id - passport or driving license. Is anything else being accepted as many of our tenants do not have these. I know ages back there was a FoI request saying people wouldn’t be denied UC if couldn’t provide this but I think that was in live rather than Full Service areas.

TIA

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

According to the full service guidance they can ask biographical security questions/checks if they don’t have enough ID.

All the full service guidance that was placed in the House of Commons Library by Lord Freud is available in our resources section

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Can confirm that I recently attended an ID verification interview in Calderdale (Full Service) and biographical security questions used.  Contrary to that guidance though, a provisional driving license was not accepted as primary ID, we were told that provisional license is only secondary ID, had to be full license for primary. They just make it up as they go along it seems.

Also, does anyone else find it a bit bizarre that a UK passport is seen as a high risk document that needs checking with the identity fraud team whereas, for example, a Spanish or German passport is not?

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

I think the assumptions that everyone everywhere has photo ID is bizarre.

A few years ago there was a proposal, that didn’t get through, that the UK should introduce ID cards.

Frankly, i’d have no problem with that at all, and it would mean that people would have ID without the need to pass a driving test or get a passport they don’t need/want, whatever.

JoW
forum member

Financial inclusion manager - Wythenshawe Community Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 343

Thanks for responses. I had been thinking it will be a big problem as a lot of people won’t have the appropriate primary evidence but should be ok as long as DWP follow their procedure and use biographical questions