to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

EU Permanent Residence Card - no longer valid when UK leaves EU

Terry R
forum member

Welfare Rights Service City of Edinburgh

Send message

Total Posts: 2

I was interested to see the change on the EU Permanent Residence Card site https://www.gov.uk/eea-registration-certificate/permanent-residence , that the card will no longer be valid when the UK leaves the EU, ‘A new scheme will be available for EU citizens and their family members to apply to stay in the UK after it leaves the EU. ‘

I have been encouraging client’s to apply for the PR card if they could afford it due to the frequent problems encountered when applying for benefits without it, the delays and poor quality of decision making across all agencies. I was surprised that EU citizens are being discouraged to apply for the card at this stage of the Brexit process. 

Any thoughts, should we be encouraging clients not to bother?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

We’d been taking exactly the same approach with local Age UK’s on this issue, advising them that obtaining a PRC might help smooth out problems down the line. This was particularly so for many older clients who have often lived and worked here for many years and who are now retired and who have been worried about being deported.

So we were particularly disappointed as you were when we saw this. We’re now trying to nuance the message to say that it’s an option but not necessarily durable, depending on the negotiations. It’s also the case that the current Government position is that anyone with a PRC will have a streamlined process so that could still help.

Then there’s the fact that you need a PRC if you want to apply for British nationality. I’ve attached the briefing note we drafted with the invaluable assistance on the Aire Centre if that’s any help?

File Attachments

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

i’d be inclined to suggest they apply for it, as having one now will likely ease the process post brexit.