Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Claimant has right to review HPs notes during the face-to-face consultation?

EKS_COTTON
forum member

Tax and Welfare Rights Officer, Equity

Send message

Total Posts: 288

Hello all,

I was just asked by a client whether she can ask the HP to read back the notes they take on her to check that they have been taken accurately (!)

Any ideas?

I told her that all I know is that she had a right to read the report once it was published.

EC

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

I have been to loads of PIP consultations and never had a problem with getting the HCP to tell me what they are writing down.  I have got them to change it a fair few times too. It may be different if the claimant goes in alone…

Back in the early days around here the HCP would nearly always sit at an angle so you could see the screen as they were typing although that doesn’t seem to happen anymore.

They don’t write the full report whilst the claimant is in the room. The Mental State Examination, Musculoskeletal and CNS, Physical examination results, review period and the point scoring/justification bit is done later. So what you get to see of the PA4 report in the room is just the first few pages (in my experience) which is basically just typing up what the claimant reports (sometimes accurately, sometimes not). 

The PIP assessment guide says at 2.6.51:

Claimants who request a copy of their report should be advised that HPs are not authorised to give them a copy at the time of the consultation and that the claimant can request a copy of their report from DWP.

EKS_COTTON
forum member

Tax and Welfare Rights Officer, Equity

Send message

Total Posts: 288

Very helpful as always Billy thank you.