Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Does anyone have any contacts they could share? Ideally in the EU team but would take anything (75 y/o man rough sleeping because of delays)

JPCHC
forum member

Cardinal Hume Centre - Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 186

I am going round in circles with the Pension Service and in the meantime my client’s situation is deteriorating.  He is 75 y/o in poor health and is now rough sleeping (fortunately his wife has been allowed to stay with someone from the mosque). 

The Pension Credit claim was received in April and it’s still awaiting an HRT decision.  This isn’t even a complicated case as he’s certified his permanent residence with the Home Office and provided his certificate (issued June 17 but HO letter states permanent residence acquired March 16). 

I first met them on 7th July and was assured it’d be sorted ASAP.  I am now back from leave and he’s now on the streets.  It just doesn’t seem right and I can’t believe there’s no way to get this prioritised and sorted!

Thanks for any suggestions

ninja9girl
forum member

Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Get his MP involved they have direct caseworker contacts with the DWP

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

Your client needs to present at the local council housing office and make a homelessness application if they haven’t already. Likely owed at least an interim housing duty.

JPCHC
forum member

Cardinal Hume Centre - Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 186

Thanks. I probably oversimplified it the first time round.  The couple were housed by the Council but they were found to be ineligible for assistance.  The decision was challenged but at review stage they found them intentionally homeless and ended the duty.  They were subsequently evicted from their interim accommodation.  The Council has agreed to secure them a private let (outside of Housing Act duties) but want benefits in payment.  I have a colleague dealing with the housing side of things so my immediate priority is to get them some income!

I have tried the MP’s office but with recess I’ve not gold hold of anyone yet.  Hopefully the DWP partnership manager will get it sorted but I won’t hold my breath.  Thanks for the suggestions