to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Protected groups scrapped?

GWRS adviser
forum member

Welfare Rights Service, Greenwich Council, London

Send message

Total Posts: 211

I can’t find any equivalent of the HB protected groups in UC which would exempt people from rent restrictions (e.g. if bereaved).  Have I missed these rules or have they not been carried over?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Bereavement is covered at Reg 37 of http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/376/regulation/37/made :

Run-on after a death

37.  In calculating the maximum amount of an award where any of the following persons has died—

(a)in the case of a joint award, one member of the couple;
(b)a child or qualifying young person for whom a claimant was responsible; or
(c)in the case of a claimant who had regular and substantial caring responsibilities for a severely disabled person, that person,
the award is to continue to be calculated as if the person had not died for the assessment period in which the death occurs and the following two assessment periods.

Only applies to child, partner or cared for person, not other people in household (siblings, non-dependents, etc.) as far as I know.

GWRS adviser
forum member

Welfare Rights Service, Greenwich Council, London

Send message

Total Posts: 211

Thanks Billy.

It seems that this is quite a significant change from the Housing Benefit rules which enabled a rent restriction to be delayed for up to 12 months if any member of the the family had died.

andyrichards
forum member

City services - Brighton and Hove City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 204

I also understand that there is no 13-week protection for people who could afford the rent when they moved in , and very little provision for people who are unavoidably liable for rent on two properties?