× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Homelessness Reduction Act

AEastwood
forum member

The Bond Board, Rochdale

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Hi

Can anyone point me in the direction of a detailed overview of the Homelessness Reduction Act, including what it will entail for individuals presenting as homeless? I cant find anything sufficiently detailed. I have heard, for example, that there will be 4 potential opportunities to ask for a decision to be reviewed, but cant find anything on this.

Thanks in advance.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

AEastwood
forum member

The Bond Board, Rochdale

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Great, that’s really helpful. Thank you

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

We will have to wait and find out if the HRA actually improves things for the homeless. It is really in part about a process to end LA Gatekeeping, but at what cost will this be?

The HRA is based on the Welsh Model which focusses on Prevention an Relief, and to be fair, virtually all folks think this is a better model than the 1996 act part vii.

However, the stats are now showing that for Wales the percentage rate of increase of rough sleeping is worst than for England. 

Intuitively my feeling is that encouraging the LA to switch resources towards Prevention and Relief, and “encouraging” the homeless to stick (ERR) with the private sector during a time we have low LHAs, introduction of UC, insecure private tenancies, high top ups…... is simply just a very bad way to go…..............

There is little long term value in keeping and directing folks to the private sector if they cant ultimately sustain it.  You will just get more repeat homelessness presentations.

I reckon contra orthodoxy, the HRA will actually push up homelessness figures and rough sleeping in the South and London.  To be fair, Homelessness will probably drop elsewhere…..although, I note that the Welsh prevention figures are already dropping.

I hope I am wrong…..I don’t doubt the motivation of those who came up with the HRA….but London is not Wales.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Unfortunately, numbers of homelessness assessments aren’t currently monitored. However we can make a good estimate – and our analysis suggests that, over the course of Year Two of the legislation, the number of households having their homelessness assessed by local authorities has increased by 32 per cent.

That’s on top of a 27 per cent increase in Year One.

More and more households are seeking help. Is this because people have more rights now, and are more likely to come forward? Or is it because more people are experiencing hardship?

The recent 72 per cent rise in rough sleeping would suggest the answer is the latter.

Statutory homelessness in Wales is up 58 per cent in a year