Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC/ESA

Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

Anyone else seeing this?

Client is on IRESA, not in a full service area, no changes or gaps in her claim. Her ESA payments switched to monthly and are now showing on her bank statement as ‘ESA/UC’. When she rang up ESA to see what is going on was told is because they are moving everyone onto UC. She was left to believe that she is now on UC, but I think she must still be on ESA – is just a change in payment frequency.

All very odd.

Jane

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

Not heard of this at all!  How can ESA payment frequency change?  Also they are not ‘moving everyone onto UC’!......

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1955

Is DWP playing fast and loose with C&P Regs which allow ‘in any particular case or class of cases’ payments to be made ‘otherwise than fortnightly’?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Andrew Dutton - 22 June 2017 04:30 PM

Is DWP playing fast and loose with C&P Regs which allow ‘in any particular case or class of cases’ payments to be made ‘otherwise than fortnightly’?

Dear gods I hope not; messing about with payment frequencies will cause no end of distress for my caseload.

Jane, what group was your client in?

Jane OP
forum member

Send message

She is in the WRAG. I have not seen her papers yet, but her account is very credible, she was annoyed that she had had to rearrange all her budgeting and direct debits etc , and she specifically noted how the bank statements now said ESA/UC.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Jane OP - 23 June 2017 08:56 AM

She is in the WRAG. I have not seen her papers yet, but her account is very credible, she was annoyed that she had had to rearrange all her budgeting and direct debits etc , and she specifically noted how the bank statements now said ESA/UC.

I’m not doubting you.

Small solace that most of mine are in the Support Group; if this does mark a move for a wider group of claimants hopefully it won’t catch mine.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

I will send that in to our stakeholder inbox to see if I can find out anything more - it sounds really bizarre. As Sarah says they are not manage moving anyone over to UC until 2019.

Jane what geographical area is the claimant in? I think it would be useful if I include that information.

Jane OP
forum member

Send message

Dan Manville - 23 June 2017 09:47 AM

I’m not doubting you.

Small solace that most of mine are in the Support Group; if this does mark a move for a wider group of claimants hopefully it won’t catch mine.

I know Dan - sorry my post came over all wrong :)

Anyway - Stand down, mystery solved!

There was an ‘error on the system’  which meant her ESA payments were messed up leading to one being missed and then a manual payment to pay the balance (with a wierd ESA/UC reference on the bank statement), then when she rang up ESA to find out what was going on she got told some nonsense about UC.