to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Prison Offenders Claiming Benefits Prior To Release

J.Mckendrick
forum member

Welfare Benefits Team - Phoenix & Norcas

Send message

Total Posts: 279

Please can you advise me on the following in that is it possible that prison offenders whilst in custody due for imminent release can make a claim for welfare benefits (eg Job Seeker’s Allowance and Employment and Support Allowance or UC) just prior to release in order that their claim be put into immediate payment upon release. Or is it the case that the offender has to make the claim having been released and if so is there any way the said offender can receive payment on the day of release of very soon after instead of have to wait the recommended time of 5-6 weeks when claiming Universal Credit.I understand that there might be a ‘fast track’ system for ex-offenders claiming JSA.

Any information on this would be very much appreciated.

WROTricia
forum member

Advice Works, Renfrewshire

Send message

Total Posts: 103

Page 158 of last years CPAG WBH (we don’t have our new one yet) states that advance claims to UC will be accepted if the person will qualify within one month of claiming, specifically mentions prisoners, however that would be treated only as the first day of claim i.e. the start of the assessment period but that should mean they can access a STBA. In my experience prisoners are given money on release to ensure they have something to live on while they sort out their benefits or work. Here DWP reps go into the prisons to assist with advance claims.