Send message

Total Posts: 3549

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

Bill Irvine’s letter:

https://www.property118.com/open-letter-dwp-neil-couling-regarding-universal-credit/98648/

To which this is an astonishingly complacent and patronising response.

Pass the Thank-You cards…..

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

“...... my experience of people in general on benefits .....”

That experience would be - years of working in an advice centre / benefit office or just receipt of thank you cards?

Glenys
forum member

Housing Systems, Leeds

Send message

Total Posts: 206

I’m sorry, should be making a point about the UC system but instead the grammar pedant in me is squirming - “superior than you or I” (!!!!)

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

mycatismo - 15 June 2017 11:14 PM

I’m sorry, should be making a point about the UC system but instead the grammar pedant in me is squirming - “superior than you or I” (!!!!)

Ouch! I’d missed that.

Apart from the grammar, the cliches and the general tone, the denial of reality is astonishing - ‘of course you’re going to complain, you deal with poor people….’

It’s another missive from Happy Land - I wrote the attached in 2014, and nothing has changed, if anything the ‘good news culture’ has grown even more intense…

File Attachments

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

Peter Turville - 15 June 2017 04:46 PM

That experience would be - years of working in an advice centre / benefit office or just receipt of thank you cards?

i actually agree with him on the budgeting point.  people on benefits generally can budget better than i can out of pure necessity and i often think too much focus goes on this than where it should be (too many people dont have enough to live on).

where i suppose we differ is he thinks its a good idea not to give people an income for a week, paying them in arrears across a ridiculous time scale and then not administering that system properly.

I also understand why someone might not pay their rent to cover the cost of some other emergency. if you think thats a budgeting issue or a return to the issue of too many people not having enough money i suppose depends on your outlook.

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

stevenmcavoy - 16 June 2017 11:12 AM
Peter Turville - 15 June 2017 04:46 PM

i actually agree with him on the budgeting point.  people on benefits generally can budget better than i can out of pure necessity and i often think too much focus goes on this than where it should be (too many people dont have enough to live on).

Neil does appear to be saying that benefit claimants are in fact better at budgeting than he is ... as they have less money and live in less secure accommodation (pay rent). They are probably better at managing their time as often have two jobs, and more flexible than Neil as have zero hours contracts…..

It sure develops your skill set having nothing. 

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

from - https://www.property118.com/director-general-neil-couling-answers-questions-universal-credit-apa-scheme/100199/

‘In Neil’s response it appears that he fails to address many of the points raised by Bill and acknowledge the issues raised. Interestingly, the House of Commons library produced a report this week, “Housing Costs in Universal Credit” – http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN06547#fullreport  referring the rent arrears increasing under Universal Credit.

The topic on communication was addressed briefly and advised that landlords should visit the DWP Frequently asked questions under Universal Credit.
In my opinion there still needs to be more done to on the whole process on APA and current reports and findings should be taken into account.’

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Ah right. Now I know he’s still alive on Twitter I shall be pursuing him with renewed zeal 😊