Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Benefits for a child granted refugee status.

Leese
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker Manchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 16

I would be grateful if someone could give me some information on this, we’ve got a mother who has been refused refugee status she is appealing this decision. She has had a baby girl who has been granted refugee status. They are Gambian Nationals. The client has separated form her husband who appears to be an over stayer but is working. Can she claim benefits for the child who has been granted status?

All comments gratefully received, thanks in advance.

Julia T
forum member

Welfare rights co-ordinator - WRAMAS, Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 5

No suggestions I’m afraid, but I have a similar scenario and wondered if you found any solutions in the meantime.
My client’s situation is this:
The child (aged 5) was living with his mother and father, father and child granted refugee status Father was working and claiming CB for the child plus partial HB. The child’s mother was also working part time, her visa states no recourse to public funds. She gave up work to care for her husband when he became seriously ill. Unfortunately he died quite suddenly. She now has sole responsibility for the child but no job and no recourse. They are all Zimbabwean nationals.
She doesn’t have enough NI conts for JSA(C) or ESA (C). We tried for bereavement benefits but they said it could take up to 6 months to assess as they need to investigate the validity of their marriage which took place in Zimbabwe.
She is getting immigration advice regarding her visa status, but in the meantime has no income.
As the child has refugee status, I was wondering if it was possible for a third party to act as something like an appointee and claim at least child benefit in respect of him.

Did you manage to find anything like this? Anyone else got any ideas?