to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Supported Internships

barbs1000
forum member

Hertfordshire Money Advice Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 33

Does anyone know how supported internships are treated for benefit purposes. Our local college seems to think they are full time education but they are not studying for over 12 hours.  Neither can I see how it can be classed as ‘appropriate full-time education’ as it is not a study programme nor a programme of activity to enable the QYP to participate in education or training. The aim seems to be for the employer to offer them work at the end of the internship.
However the combined DWP and DfE document seems to imply it is: http://preparingforadulthood.org.uk/resources/all-resources/supported-internships-and-benefits
Anyone come across these? Many thanks
Sorry if people have seen this post before - I added it to an old post on apprentices with no response

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

We haven’t had any problems here, as far as I know, with young people receiving ESA (along with DLA or PIP) whilst on Supported Internships - As far as I can recall there were DWP staff at local launch event. No problems with CHB or CTC either but I can’t say there was ever an issue raised as to the legal basis on which parents continued to be entitled

[ Edited: 8 Jun 2017 at 01:25 pm by Brian JB ]
Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

My understanding is that a supported internship is a type of study programme, so as long as is full time CTC etc continues.

You could check with disability rights, looks like they were involved with the pilot https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2013/december/evaluation-supported-internship-pilots .

barbs1000
forum member

Hertfordshire Money Advice Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 33

Many thanks both. Still think it is a very ‘loose’ type of education but as long as ESA can still be paid I shouldn’t worry