to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Bed Room Tax Exemptions

Neil
forum member

Debt & Benefits, Aster Communities

Send message

Total Posts: 96

Hi folks, we have started getting a new kind of appeal which have a post High Court success dimension, our local authority have been contacting couples who cannot share bedrooms, and families were children who cannot share, and in a number of cases despite medical evidence, they have evoked their get out of jail card,

After a visit by an assessor to the claimants home, and using the assessors report the local authority have decided they are not satisfied as to the facts. So I am appealing, and I have some thoughts on the grounds of appeal having read the HB A3/2017(revised), there will be particular emphasis of asking what expertise the assessor has to over rule the medical evidence.

But anyone with experience of this situation or any fresh angles to argue, your opinions and/or experiences will be gratefully received.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 551

Do you mean they are saying that they have not established to their satisfaction that the additional room is actually needed, despite the benefit being in place?  It is really worrying that they are using resources to go to the wire on this.  Keep us posted.  Ruth

Neil
forum member

Debt & Benefits, Aster Communities

Send message

Total Posts: 96

That’s exactly what I am saying Ruth, I have lodged the appeal, and included extra medical evidence, and asked the Council what training and qualifications the assessor has to allow them to over rule the medical professional’s, the frustrating aspect is that unless I am missing something funding comes from central Government. so why they are going to this degree is beyond me.