to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

insurance after loss of Motability car

gw
forum member

Glasgow West Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 285

i have a client who was named driver on her partners motability car.
When this was lost after transfer to pip she had lost her no claims bonus on her insurance and was required to pay an extra £300 due to this.

So not only are they having to purchase a car, she lost her record having no claims policy for over 25 years..

another extra hit on the disabled

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

i am surprised. i’d take that up with the motor insurer.

gw
forum member

Send message

tried them all Claire.. even tried Money Savings Expert and Motability who suppled a letter confirming no claims during period of having the car.

They did sell them the car with the £1k off purchase price.

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

As far as I’m aware there’s no inalienable right to a NCD as a Named Driver - it depends on the new insurer and they’re not obliged to reduce the costs of insurance outside of the Policyholder.

To my knowledge when moving off of a fleet insurer to private insurance an ‘introductory’ bonus would be offered to match that earned elsewhere.

Have you tried ringing brokers? The old way is probably better in this instance.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

way back when, i had a company car.  when i then bought my own car i was allowed to take advantage of the NCD from the company car.  but that was a good while ago and insurance practice changes, i guess also it can be down to individual insurer’s practice…. ......

gw
forum member

Send message

we tried a broker for them and this came in at over £800, best deal is just over £500..

for a driver with no claims in her 20 + years of driving ....

with no claims bonus included (not advising companies which would obviously invalidate any insurance) average price was £245.00

[ Edited: 7 Jun 2017 at 01:59 pm by gw ]
John Birks
forum member

Send message

sounds reasonable.

gw
forum member

Send message

£500 was via company motability advised her to contact.. Autonet Insurance. This was comparable with price comparison sites

£800 was via broker

John Birks
forum member

Send message

Just as a point of reference - The media were reporting a big jump in Car Insurance prices due to more expensive repairs via the added technology on modern cars (as an aside the tech obviously isn’t working?)

Ours has jumped £200 with Max NCD, ‘safe’ occupations, no changes, no accidents and the car is a year older and obvs. worth less than before.