Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Dreaming again? Missing PIP2s

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Hi Hivemind

I could’ve sworn; in the dim and distant past, that I’d heard that there was provision for a claimant to be referred straight for assessment if they didn’t return a PIP2. Thinking back I can think of at least one claimant where that’s happened. However…

1: the helpline have just told me that they must get the PIP2 so I went off squirrelling in books and…

2: reg 37(3) UC, PIP etc (C&P) regs tells us that the claimant must supply the… information or evidence in such a manner… within one month or longer

I’ve looked in the assessment guide and the PIP toolkit but nowhere can I find it written that a vulnerable person can bypass the requirement of the PIP2 (and that must )

help!

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Hi Dan

My post at #4 here https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/7842/ links to guidance obtained from FOI which says: “Claimants who fail to return the PIP2 within a calendar month but who have indicated they need ‘Additional Support’ will have an assessment without having completed a PIP2.”

There is also this https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/242900/response/604275/attach/2/wdtk 5268 reply.pdf which suggests that where a 3rd party is involved with the claim the DWP absolves itself of responsibility for providing additional support.

It rings a bell though that the ‘additional support’ stuff was dropped a while ago but I can’t be sure of that.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Cheers Billy

I should have just searched on here instead… d’oh!

So, my client who has no insight into their condition and has returned a PIP1 about 6 months late insisting they’ve no need for additional support might be in a bit of a pickle.

Hey ho; life’s never dull for long!

zoeycorker
forum member

Welfare Rights Unit - Leeds City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 88

Just had a client on the phone totally distressed because she’s not getting anywhere with the department
she phoned to make a new claim on behalf of her husband on 15/11/17 following my advice - after previously being informed by the claim line that he wasn’t entitled(!)
PIP2 form still hasn’t arrived - and when she has phoned to chase it up - was advised that it has been delayed because she has failed to return a form they sent to her on 16/11/17 to confirm she is his representative !????
despite the fact that she never asked to named as his representative and this form has not actually arrived - they are still refusing to send the PIP2 form even when she has declared that he is capable of speaking for himself and doesn’t need a formal representative.
am just on hold to PIP now….........
has anyone else ever heard of this fiasco?
its not something I’ve ever come across when I’ve phoned to register a claim in the past..