to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC whilst waiting for WCA

LJF
forum member

Benefits caseworker - Manchester Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 143

client claims UC as sick - giving in sicknotes but still having to look for 20 hours a week work whilst waiting for WCA. looked in CPAG and surprised to find this correct? not automatically treated as LCW on UC whilst waiting for medical.

is there 13 weeks sick like on JSA? is it correct they still have to look for work whilst waiting for a medical for the first time?

thanks

WRT Case Worker
forum member

Citizens Advice Rotherham

Send message

Total Posts: 66

Is this a new claim LJF?

LJF
forum member

Send message

yes new claim

WRT Case Worker
forum member

Citizens Advice Rotherham

Send message

Total Posts: 66

A number of thoughts occur.

Was client awaiting assessment prior to 03 April? If client is in a live service area it may be that the UC claim was made in error (unable to declare fit for work/has fit note on the date of claim) in which case, client claims legacy ESA within one month of UC claim and comes under legacy rules ...AFAIK!

If client is in a full service area and was awaiting assessment whilst claiming legacies, the 03 April (LCW) change still has no effect.  If client reports LCW after 03 April then there is no LCW, only LCWRA, again, AFAIK!

Seems to me that if client is staying on UC then there should be a WFHRA to determine clients ability to undertake work related activity ...before it is imposed upon him/her!

See attached at U5043

I’m sure more experienced others will be along shortly to shed light on this.

File Attachments

• admu5.pdf (File Size: 64KB - Downloads: 2163)
LJF
forum member

Send message

don’t know full history
so assuming they have to claim UC and noway can go back on ESA then…
when someone on UC and then sick - there is no auto exemption from work seeking until WCA occurs.
it is just down to the job centre advisor’s discretion whether they let them reduce their claimant commitment? and nothing the claimant can do about it?
have i got that right?

Benefits Advisor NLC
forum member

Welfare Benefits caseworker Newcastle Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 10

That is my understanding LJF, I had a client having to attend JCP until their WCA, did some research and thats the answer I came back with.

It has prompted me to wonder, if someone fails WCA on ESA then they cant reapply with the same condition unless it has significantly worsened. Is this the same with UC? I assume so. Just realised I had never considered it

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

Reg 41(4) of the UC Regs suggests that where the claimant has been found fit for work once under UC or new style ESA, no further WCA is to be conducted unless there is “evidence to suggest that” either the circumstances have changed or the last assessment was mistaken or ignorant of a material fact.

It’s probably still to early to say how that will pan out in practice.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1963

What about Reg 99 UC Regs? The claimant may still have to attend WFI and undertake Work Preparation, but work search and work availability can be adjusted where it would be unreasonable to require these. Para 5A, 5B?

[or is this after Reg 99 has been applied?]

[ Edited: 18 May 2017 at 10:26 am by Andrew Dutton ]
MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 271

So what happens if you fail WCA on UC and then go through MR/appeal process?  Assume it is at the discretion of WC as to what WFA is required, even during appeal stage?

Morti
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Ferguslie Park Housing Association, Paisley

Send message

Total Posts: 52

yes, its all a bit of a worry

Reg 99(4) of the UC Regs allows for 2 fourteen day periods, in any 12 month period (provided a Med Cert is provided after 7 days), where a claimant is not required to do work search

Reg 99(5)(c) allows for longer periods if decision maker is ‘‘satisfied that it would be unreasonable to require the claimant to comply’‘

Reg 88(2)(c) allows for less than 35 hours work search where ‘’ physical or mental impairment’’ and the decision maker considers it reasonable

Reg 95(1)(a)(ii) decision maker can accept claimant has ‘‘taken all reasonable action for the purpose of obtaining paid work’’

It seems to me that much of this will depend on how each decision maker defines ‘reasonable’  however its also worth pointing out;

Reg 97(6) - work search cannot require claimant to do something where health has a ‘‘substantial adverse effect’’ on ability to carry out ‘‘work of a particular nature or in particular locations’‘.