to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Enhanced rate Mobility Component over 65

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 447

I found this and it seems to suggest that clients previously on DLA could get ERM after age 65 if they convert to PIP.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/180958/pip-briefing-people-over-65.pdf

It states:

“We have also added an important safeguard which means that anyone being
assessed for the first time for PIP who at the time when they are assessed is
aged 65 or over will be able to access the daily living and the mobility
component of PIP at either the standard or the enhanced rate without the
normal age restrictions applying. This means that some people may be able
to access the mobility component for the first time, even if they were aged 65
or over at the point they are assessed. “

Anyone know if this is correct? I have a 64 year old client on HRC DLA who is fearful about reporting deterioration in physical mobility in case he doesn’t get EDL in PIP and wishes to wait til he’s called to claim PIP but my fear is that if he doesn’t report deterioration before 65 he loses the chance to get the enhanced rate mobility component.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

I’m a bit confused by your client’s concerns here.

They have a deterioration in their mobility which may give rise to an additional award of DLA mobility as they would report the CoC prior to reaching 65? Why would this impact on an award of PIP EDL upon reassessment?

If they are reassessed for PIP post-65,. their DLA award doesn’t influence any PIP award and as you note, the DWP can consider making an award of the mobility element of PIP at whatever rate they think applicable, regardless of what their DLA entitlement is at the point of conversion.

What is clear is that if your client doesn’‘t seek an award of DLA mobility before 65, they won’t get an award subsequently and they also won’t know when they’re likely to be reassessed for PIP, so they might lose out on £££‘s in the meantime. Subject of course to the caveat that awards can go up, down or to nowt on CoC application.

That’s my reading at least, or have I missed something?

unhindered by talent
forum member

Send message

If my client reports a CoC, they will be called to claim PIP instead as DLA can’t be increased now. Their concern is that they might not get PIP EDL even if they gain ERM.

So to clarify - he can’t seek an award of DLA Mobility as any CoC reported will result in him having to claim PIP ahead of time and this could result in him losing out.

[ Edited: 10 May 2017 at 12:31 pm by unhindered by talent ]
Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Ah, sorry, I’m with you, of course.

I don’t think there’s any reassurance you can give in these situations, beyond going through PIP descriptors and seeing what the potential entitlement might be unfortunately.

His DLA HRC is at risk on reassessment whenever it happens, so its the gamble on what that’s worth going ahead, against whatever PIP entitlement might be established and which might include a mobility element I suppose.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I really think we’re going to have to find something better than “EDL”!!!

unhindered by talent
forum member

Send message

I guess my question is whether the provisions in the original post do apply as this would give my client some idea about whether he could potentially get ERM when invited to apply for PIP if it’s after his 65th birthday. Yes, I should insert the R into EDL :-D

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

As far as I’m aware, yes they do.

unhindered by talent
forum member

Send message

Cheers :-)

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

One note of caution might be that whilst it is true currently that the transitional PIP regulations do allow for an award of the PIP mobility element to be made on conversion from DLA, regardless of whether a DLA mobility component was in payment previously and regardless of the age of the client, there’s nothing to stop DWP subsequently amending the regulations to rule this out at some point in the future.