to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC shared room rate SDP query

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

I have a 34 year old client who lives in shared accommodation, and gets the basic LHA shared room rate, which matches her rental liability
She wants to get her own place but her LHA will be capped to shared room rate due to age.
She gets EDL PIP and is in SG of ESA
I know that people who receive an SDP are exempt from the shared room limit if under 35, however as she is on UC there is no SDP due to lack of any disability premium.
Ive been looking to see if there are any like for like crossovers but im struggling. I dont want to tell my client that she can get £90 a week UC rent element if she will only get £45

Thanks

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 869

benefitsadviser - 04 May 2017 02:23 PM

I have a 34 year old client who lives in shared accommodation, and gets the basic LHA shared room rate, which matches her rental liability
She wants to get her own place but her LHA will be capped to shared room rate due to age.
She gets EDL PIP and is in SG of ESA
I know that people who receive an SDP are exempt from the shared room limit if under 35, however as she is on UC there is no SDP due to lack of any disability premium.
Ive been looking to see if there are any like for like crossovers but im struggling. I dont want to tell my client that she can get £90 a week UC rent element if she will only get £45

Thanks

can she not potentially get the 1 or 2 bedroom rate due to her rate of pip and the potential need for an overnight carer?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

UC has abandoned the SDP exception to the shared room rate and the 1 bedroom rate applies whenever there is an award of PIP daily living (even if - say - carers allowance is in payment) - Schedule 4, para 29(5) of the Universal Credit Regulations 2013.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Thanks Mr K

So any PIP DL cancels out shared room rate cap on rent element?

Good to know

Thanks again