× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Training for debt advisers

AEastwood
forum member

The Bond Board, Rochdale

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Hi
We are homeless charity in the UK looking to set up a debt advice service to form part of our offer to homeless and private rented sector tenants. I’m researching the options for training and certification for any potential adviser that we recruit, but I am lost. I have found various options, with varying content and cost, all accredited by the MAS.

Can anyone tell me if there is a standard recognised qualification for debt advisers and if so, what it is?

Thank you,

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Hopefully someone directly involved in this will come along to answer, but I think the MAS framework is more about the organization showing they have the correct training routes in place to meet the required standards, than it is about officially accrediting an individual adviser to a certain level of work.

The standards and principles are set and checked by the FCA. If you haven’t already, you should decide if your proposed activity means you need to apply for authorization. E.g., budgeting advice might not, but advice on debt options will fall under the FCA. See CONC 8:
https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/CONC/8/?view=chapter

If you do, then I presume the FCA may then give you further info on what is required.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

I am similarly not an expert, but as I recall when used to work at Bristol City Council the debt advisers all went for the IMA accreditation - http://www.i-m-a.org.uk/accreditation/ - and I think it is used quite widely.

AEastwood
forum member

The Bond Board, Rochdale

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Thank you both. I had already checked with the FCA with regards to regulation. They also advised that no formal qualifications or accreditation were necessary to be a debt adviser, which I was surprised/alarmed by. I will have a look at the IMA link,
Thanks again-much appreciated.