to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

25 per cent of successful PIP appeals originally scored zero points

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

Answer to a written question yesterday - and 15 per cent of successful MRs also originally scored zero points -

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2017-04-13/70970

Den DANES
forum member

DIAL Lowestoft and Waveney

Send message

Total Posts: 110

Had one yesterday. Nil points to ERDL/SRM.
54 yr old man with v clear sig learning difficulties. No help with migration form and didn’t put any info down re conditions or difficulties. Assessor didn’t list any learning disabilities or do any cognitive or MH tests and no comments on either. Late recon accepted with our help and info given in detail re LD at recon. No mention again in DWP appeal sub. Oral hearing yesterday brill result. Serious complaint going in to Atos.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I’m finding that a complaint after each one is essential. However, as well as ATOS you need to locate the professional body for the HCP and lodge a complaint with them.

My personal best so for is 0 points on Daily Living to a tribunal accepting in principle that 33 points would have applied.

Presenting officer alleged that the tribunal didn’t know the law 😊

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 868

DAB - 25 April 2017 03:38 PM

Had one yesterday. Nil points to ERDL/SRM.
54 yr old man with v clear sig learning difficulties. No help with migration form and didn’t put any info down re conditions or difficulties. Assessor didn’t list any learning disabilities or do any cognitive or MH tests and no comments on either. Late recon accepted with our help and info given in detail re LD at recon. No mention again in DWP appeal sub. Oral hearing yesterday brill result. Serious complaint going in to Atos.

had a client “unable to calculate change from a pound” but able to manage serial 7’s (apparently)....0 points for budgeting.

Ross ORourke
forum member

Welfare rights, Financial inclusion, North Lanarkshire Council -Lanarkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 17

I see very little MR’s being successful to be honest - in my opinion its a copy and paste exercise.

I had a case recently, 0 points to 35 in total for PIP between components and yet the DWP are convinced that most appeals are upheld in the departments favour?!

Den DANES
forum member

DIAL Lowestoft and Waveney

Send message

Total Posts: 110

Mike Hughes - 26 April 2017 07:56 AM

I’m finding that a complaint after each one is essential. However, as well as ATOS you need to locate the professional body for the HCP and lodge a complaint with them.

My personal best so for is 0 points on Daily Living to a tribunal accepting in principle that 33 points would have applied.

Presenting officer alleged that the tribunal didn’t know the law :)

We have telephony Q&As; at our Benefit Forum meetings with DWP and at one the decision maker stated the same thing that Tribunal Panels didn’t know the law and that was why so many appeals were being won. The intake of breath (from all sides) was so audible that I’m sure they could have heard it at the other end.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

DAB - 27 April 2017 10:20 AM
Mike Hughes - 26 April 2017 07:56 AM

Presenting officer alleged that the tribunal didn’t know the law :)

We have telephony Q&As; at our Benefit Forum meetings with DWP and at one the decision maker stated the same thing that Tribunal Panels didn’t know the law and that was why so many appeals were being won. The intake of breath (from all sides) was so audible that I’m sure they could have heard it at the other end.

New style POs are, as I surmised on an earlier thread, 1970s style POs. Sent like a lamb to the slaughter; naively believing that they are on the path of the righteous only to exit bloody and bewildered. Tribunals are going to have a field day.