to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Maximum council tax support 67% limit

ASH
forum member

Welfare officer - St Christopher's Hospice, SE London

Send message

Total Posts: 110

I have just seen a client entitled to full council tax support but being told that she still has to contribute 33%. There is nothing on the council’s website to explain this.  Is it totally up to the council to fix this level?

Nan
forum member

Generalist team - Hammersmith & Fulham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 155

Are they unemployed? If so what benefits are they on?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

I think it is entirely up to the local authority. My one, Hackney has the following:

Working age people are required to pay at least 15% of their weekly council tax bill before being eligible for support.

The remaining 85% is then used to calculate any council tax reduction

They are no longer be eligible for second adult rebate

Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

This website has some good info http://www.counciltaxsupport.org/schemes/ apparently 19 councils have a min payment of over 30% .

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Searching for something else and came across this rightsnet news story from a few days ago

NPI reports, has created a great deal of variation across England. In some local authorities, low-income households continue to be exempt from paying council tax, whilst in others they are required to pay up to 45 per cent of their bill

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/majority-of-english-councils-have-cut-council-tax-support-by-introducing-a

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Measure of the times when most are near, on or past the 20% Poll Tax riot threshold and yet…

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

ASH - 11 April 2017 03:10 PM

I have just seen a client entitled to full council tax support but being told that she still has to contribute 33%. There is nothing on the council’s website to explain this.  Is it totally up to the council to fix this level?

I guess this must be Lewisham ( previously supporting at 97% ) I think that’s the biggest cut in support this year and they now have the lowest level of support in London. 

[ Edited: 11 Apr 2017 at 05:06 pm by Jon Blackwell ]
shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3778

Here’s Lewisham .. and yes:

“If you are of working age on a low income you may be eligible for a reduction of up to a maximum of 67% on the whole amount of your council tax”

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/benefits/council-tax-reduction-scheme/pages/default.aspx