× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

I, Daniel Blake

< 1 2 3

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

Frances Ryan in today’s Guardian -

Compare and contrast two versions of austerity Britain. On Sunday, as I, Daniel Blake director Ken Loach collected a Bafta, he thanked the Academy for “endorsing the truth that this film says, which is that hundreds of thousands of people – the vulnerable and the poorest people – are treated by this government with a callousness and brutality that is disgraceful”.

A few days earlier, Steve McCall, a manager of the Jobcentre Plus in Newcastle that is depicted in the film, spoke out to dispute its accuracy. “I hope people don’t think the film is a documentary,” he said. “Because it’s a story that doesn’t represent the reality we work in.”

It is reflective of the toxic climate that has developed around “welfare” over recent years that there still exists any doubt over the awful realities of this country’s benefit system.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/16/daniel-blake-realistic-life-benefits