< 1 2

Robbie Spence
forum member

Independent benefits adviser and trainer

Send message

Total Posts: 116

Jon (CHDCA) - 19 January 2017 05:04 PM

That’s Memo DMG 9/15, archived here.

Thanks, Jon, I was back in editing my post while you replied - the memo you link to says the same as the DMG in my edited post.

disgustedofbridport
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 44

I’ve just had a client with Multiple Sclerosis who clearly should not have been turned down for ESA - she was in the Support Group before, but it seems she’s suddenly recovered (?) She’s now on JSA while waiting for the Mandatory Reconsideration for ESA. She put in a medical certificate and had a letter acknowledging this medical certificate on 23rd January 2017, but she’s been told she not only has to sign on as usual on 13th February, but she has to attend an extra appointment (as a result, it seems, of putting in the sick note) on 6th February.

This means getting one of the three buses that run in either direction each day, a 20-minute bus journey, an hour-long wait, the appointment, a 3-hour wait if the interview takes more than 15 minutes, and then the bus journey back. She’s likely to be back at 6pm and even if she skips the wait for the journey back by taking a taxi (£15 probably), she’ll still spend the whole of the next day in bed.

JSA Reg.s 2013, Reg.s 16, 16A, 46 and 46A seem to apply, though it seems they don’t give a definitive answer on what can be required of a claimant.

generalistadviser29
forum member

Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 24

disgustedofbridport - 02 February 2017 02:32 PM

I’ve just had a client with Multiple Sclerosis who clearly should not have been turned down for ESA - she was in the Support Group before, but it seems she’s suddenly recovered (?) She’s now on JSA while waiting for the Mandatory Reconsideration for ESA. She put in a medical certificate and had a letter acknowledging this medical certificate on 23rd January 2017, but she’s been told she not only has to sign on as usual on 13th February, but she has to attend an extra appointment (as a result, it seems, of putting in the sick note) on 6th February.

This means getting one of the three buses that run in either direction each day, a 20-minute bus journey, an hour-long wait, the appointment, a 3-hour wait if the interview takes more than 15 minutes, and then the bus journey back. She’s likely to be back at 6pm and even if she skips the wait for the journey back by taking a taxi (£15 probably), she’ll still spend the whole of the next day in bed.

JSA Reg.s 2013, Reg.s 16, 16A, 46 and 46A seem to apply, though it seems they don’t give a definitive answer on what can be required of a claimant.

Can’t she make a new claim for ESA- under significant deterioration in her condition(if gp is supportive)?