× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Being effective

chris smith
forum member

HB Help, Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 82

I’ve just reviewed my money and found that I can probably afford to retire fairly soon.

Freed from the need to earn a living, I’d like to spend more time promoting the rights of poor people- particularly those on benefits, since this is how I’ve earned a living all these years.

What would you do in a similar situation?  No suggestions about political parties please. I’ve been there, done that and it doesn’t work. And nothing too globally exhausting.  I’ve still got M.E. ‘

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

This sounds like the type of request that’s on the back page of the Guardian’s Society section on a Wednesday but normally it’s a social worker who’s at their wits end and wants a change, sorry, a new challenge.

But in the spirit of Friday afternoon Chris, how about stalking the edges of the Big Society, say, by turning up unannounced at a tribunal and helping the unrepresented.  So that they could later be heard to say “I don’t know who he was.  He left afterwards as quickly as he appeared.  All I know is that he helped me”  A benefits version of Edward Woodward’s The Equaliser, righting the wrongs of the DWP.  Don’t worry about it being globally exhausting either - you set the boundaries of the Big Society, you make it as big as you want.  And that thing about leaving quickly afterwards would be all the more important if they still lost the appeal.

Alternatively, how about becoming a People’s benefits Czar.  A bit like Frank Field, Alan Milburn and Purnell but without their salaries. Popping into Easterhouse now and then for a cuppa.  I’m sure each one of them would agree with the sentiment “No suggestions about political parties please. I’ve been there, done that and it doesn’t work.”

Failing all that, how about I send you my details. I’ve been reviewing my finances too and think I’m quite poor.  You could set up a standing order - a few pounds each week would do me.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

“Who was that masked representative”?

or

From out of the forest he raids the tribunal of Nottingham!

or, more realistically and usefully, spend even more time digging into the detail and then share it around meetings and conferences.  I’m sure that organisers will happily cover expenses to get the insights that few working WRAs have the time to acquire.

chris smith
forum member

HB Help, Sussex

Send message

Tom H - 10 December 2010 04:58 PM

This sounds like the type of request that’s on the back page of the Guardian’s Society section on a Wednesday but normally it’s a social worker who’s at their wits end and wants a change, sorry, a new challenge.

But in the spirit of Friday afternoon Chris, how about stalking the edges of the Big Society, say, by turning up unannounced at a tribunal and helping the unrepresented.  So that they could later be heard to say “I don’t know who he was.  He left afterwards as quickly as he appeared.  All I know is that he helped me”  A benefits version of Edward Woodward’s The Equaliser, righting the wrongs of the DWP.  Don’t worry about it being globally exhausting either - you set the boundaries of the Big Society, you make it as big as you want.  And that thing about leaving quickly afterwards would be all the more important if they still lost the appeal.

Alternatively, how about becoming a People’s benefits Czar.  A bit like Frank Field, Alan Milburn and Purnell but without their salaries. Popping into Easterhouse now and then for a cuppa.  I’m sure each one of them would agree with the sentiment “No suggestions about political parties please. I’ve been there, done that and it doesn’t work.”

Failing all that, how about I send you my details. I’ve been reviewing my finances too and think I’m quite poor.  You could set up a standing order - a few pounds each week would do me.

What do you mean “Quite poor”  You work for a local authority in the north, where the streets are paved with gold and all local authority workers are on £100 k a year and claimants lie around, to fat even to collect their £25k benefit.  I know its true.  Mr Pickles told me, and he’s from the north

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Maybe you could try something like the following if you found yourself at a tribunal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/baby-barista-blog/2010/nov/02/1?INTCMP=SRCH

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

Aside from spending more time playing my saxophones and keeping on top of the garden, there are some signs of growing self-activism by claimants in some areas which have largely bypassed established welfare rights organisations.  Have a look on the web.

There is scope for voluntary work building up their technical knowledge, mentoring others to become effective lay advocates, etc.

It takes us back to the very early days of the welfare rights/claimants’ unions and given the planned destruction of much of the funding for advice service, might become a lifeline.

Funny how it looks like we may end our careers as we started - advising about a universal means tested benefit in self organised groups of activists and claimants.

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

Ah, rumbled.  And by a southerner to boot.  As one of the moneyed classes responsible for bringing the nation to the brink, I just couldn’t resist the temptation which your post presented to line my already big pockets even further.  I should have known better than to try to fleece a fellow welf.  As they say up here, you cannot kid a kidda.  You never mentioned my 50k bonus for not ringing in sick.  Here’s hoping Pickles gives us an extra grit allowance in his settlement.  Those gold streets are bloody slippy this time of year.  Good luck Chris.

chris smith
forum member

HB Help, Sussex

Send message

Joanna - 15 December 2010 03:50 PM

Oh Chris, you are just such an attractive proposition! :) I am currently volunteering as a welfare adviser for a national ME charity caled TYMES Trust (The Young ME Sufferers Trust). I get few calls a week, (through the switchboard, so my phone number is not advertised) or few emails about benefit problems. I am sure that my knowledge and experience is an absolute pish comparing to yours! If you could share it with me, it would be brilliant. I work full time too so sometimes I could do with a tiny bit of help. Nothing as exciting as the “masked rep” riding to the rescue but if you wish, we could devise some secret virtual handshake or password or I could refer to you as Mr Bond if this would tickle your fancy!

Joanna- you can ring me on 01273474070 or email on .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

P.E.T.E
forum member

Head of Welfare Rights at Barnsley MBC.

Send message

Total Posts: 104

Is this some sort on internet dating that were starting here?