Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Disregarded Income Other Than Earnings

benefit_caseworker
forum member

CLA

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Hi,

I’m doing an appeal for a claimant who receives payments from an ex-employer following an incident at work which caused the client mental ill-health.

Under Schedule 9, Para 15 (5)(e) I am arguing that the payments should be disregarded and therefore not affect his claim.

A recent case, Malekout v SS for Work and Pensions (2010 EWCA Civ 162) seems to agree that payments resulting from personal injury should be disregarded - this case was unsuccessful, but the reasoning at para 9 seems to support my argument.

I was wondering if anyone has had, or knows, of any similar cases as I can only find the one.

Any help would be appreciated.

File Attachments

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

It seems to me that the Court of Appeal took this paragraph to have its most natural and probable meaning.

Compensation for a personal injury claim is not necessarily paid in a single lump sum. Modern structured settlements often involve the compensator purchasing an annuity which will then pay a regular income to the person injured. These are the ones you see in the press where people are said to have been “awarded” say £1.5m. In fact the amount paid out is much less than that, but over a period of say 40 years it may amount to quite a lot (the annuity provider gambles on how long the injured person is likely to live).

The Court of Appeal is saying that para 15(5e) is about this sort of thing, where the Court has ordered a structured settlement, or the case has been compromised by agreement without actually going to court on terms equivalent to a structured settlement. If that is what has happened in your client’s case then you can rely on this case to support the argument.

The court actually decided as a matter of law what the meaning of para 15(5e) is, and then found on the facts that the appellant didn’t qualify. It is thus good authority to support people who DO fit the definition and a very good illustration of the difference between findings of law - which create precedents - and findings of fact, which don’t.

ClaireHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, CMH solicitors, Tyne And Wear

Send message

Total Posts: 186

so you need more information as to why the client is receiving this continuing payment ....

benefit_caseworker
forum member

CLA

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Thanks Ariadne, my client does fall under the legislation so although the case wasn’t successful for Malekout I think it should be a good precedent to rely on for my client.

It doesn’t look like any cases have been decided since Malekout - not suprising seen as it was only decided in February, but thought I would check still.