Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

2 Council Tax Summons for 2 addresses for same claimant

JojoMitchell
forum member

Disability Law Service, London

Send message

Total Posts: 290

Hello

A client is seeking advice in relation to two Summons for unpaid council tax.  The information that I have so far from the client is that her main home “A” where she still has some belongings was unsuitable and which according to the Summons no council tax has been paid since 01/04/2020.  Housing benefit is being paid for this address however.

The second Summons is for home “B” where she was temporarily housed by the council (since August 2020) and which the council have told her not to pay any rent (& no rent is charged).  She’s received a Summons for unpaid council tax for 2021/2022. 

I’m waiting to hear from the council as to why no council tax support has been paid for home “A”.

The client receives ERDL PIP and ESA (SG) so she’s going to see if her unhelpful GP would sign SMI forms for both addresses.  She has a psychiatrist who might but we have to wait and see.

The summons hearing is on 18th August.

Any advice on her options would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 291

The one thing i would do is to ask the council (presumably it’s the same council?) to agree to adjourn the hearing on the 18th until the HB/LCTS situation is sorted out.